Chapter 22 | You've Made a Mistake

The early winter breeze hummed, whisking through her fluffy white fur

Riot shook herself- taking a moment to sit down and scratch her side with her back paw. She's grown in her winter coat, which was heavier and a bit itchier. She'll probably think the same thing when she starts shedding, though.

Frost tipped the tall grass, some amount of snow still coating the nightscape from the day's snowfall.

Something about winter was.. whimsical. She'd want nothing more than to hide in a log cabin, read a book, and cuddle up to... him.

Riot scoffed while Artio cooed at this idea.

She'd take a moment to lay down- resting her head on the cold earth. It was a nice ventilator for her fluffy coat. It felt like wearing twenty pairs of jackets sometimes.

A cold sensation whisked down her spine. Her entire body shivered.

Riot raised her head. She was currently in wolf form- lying beside a tree near the Dieu residence. She'd look around curiously.

She's been camping out around the mansion for the past few days. With her lack of scent, spying was made as easy as breathing. However, it was hard even to see River.

Lazy-ass Lucifer appeared to like using his helicopter to traverse the world. 

"You haven't even met him in 8 years." Artio scoffed, "Starting to sound like you have a grudge."

For these past few days- Artio's attitude has not improved.

The cold sensation began to feel like a tug. Her heart pointed in the direction of the woods behind the mansion.

What was going on?

Artio seemed intrigued. "A connection..." She'd mutter, "We should follow it."

Riot rose from her lying position and bolted around the metal fence. She'd follow it for a while before the connection tugged her inside the property line.

Digging her back paws into the dirt- she'd leap over the fence line gracefully and quickly. Curtly dropping to the ground, she continues into the forest. An echoing howl, like a vengeful warcry, shook the night sky like an earthquake.
She did not find herself submitting to it. While it whirled like a swarm of hornets, she charged into it without any fear. Stopping nearby- she'd push through a sizeable bush and enter the clearing with smoldering eyes.

Her chest rumbled with a deep growl- challenging the authoritative howl.

"River," Artio muttered ghostly.

There stood a young but towering white wolf. The distinct smell of a newly-shifted wolf invaded her nose... it was her first shift.

River's wolf was a titan, but Riot's was colossal.

The moment her sister began to show aggression- she knew her wolf was in control. The ruffling of her shackles, tensing of the muscles, and wrinkle of the snout was everything River would never do.

Riot pulled her lips back to show dirty, sharp teeth- jaws kept shut.

River stepped toward her and snapped her jaws, a connection begging to be made between the two. Their eyes glazed over with white.

"You've made a mistake." Riot snapped through their mind-link, "You shouldn't have shifted. You shouldn't have howled." She hissed.

River tensed further, ears pulling back in distaste. "Who're you to say that?" She lashed out, "If I hadn't allowed that shift- we would be dead."

"And maybe that would be for the best!" Riot exclaimed, pounding her paw on the earth as she stomped forward.

Her sister's shackles ruffled like an angry bird. Her claws dug into the earth as she took threatening steps toward the white she-wolf. "Who are you!" She howled, "You have been chasing River; I know you have been. Why?!"

Riot could only narrow her bloody red irises at her. "There are a lot of things you don't know." She said in a dead tone, "You made a mistake coming here."

Her sister was about to speak, but she purposely interrupted her. "Having a mate and becoming a full-fledged werewolf is not your only dilemma." She vaguely said,

"You have set things in motion that'll be the end to all those you love."

The two wolves slowly began to step toward each other.

"ALL STAND DOWN."

The familiar, although deeper, voice broke through her mind like a strike of lightning. Her sister kept eyes on her- but the she-wolf whipped her head toward the ruffling bushes.

A large black wolf lept out from the shadows.

Her heart pounded in her ribcage. Ears rising and eyebrows curving, she witnessed his wolf for the first time.

Grey eyes, swarming with a matte black, swerved across the clearing. His confusion was clear. He could only silently question why the more powerful of his loved ones were forced to bow and submit.

The moment his gaze landed on her- she felt time go still. Her look of shock morphed into utter grief- his name echoing throughout her consciousness like a lullaby.

Cronus. 

Cronus.

Cronus.

Nearly tripping over herself- she could only bolt into the brush.

Artio cried out, pleading and pulling toward Cronus- but Riot could not stop.

Riot could clearly hear him chasing after her. Artio pleaded with the goddess this time- hoping that fate would have Riot fail in her fleeing. Her own wolf was working against her.

Please don't catch up.

Please don't let her past catch up to her.