Chapter 19 | Eyes Behind the Walls

Amongst the bushes, a scentless canine slicked through the shadows

It was easy to see the pale woman inside a clothing store. Her tied-up white hair made a sense of pride bubble in Riot's stomach- knowing that she still had that beautifully long hair since she was a little girl. 

Seeing Artio definitely scared the shit out of her, though. She was nervous and limping around like a scared puppy.

Poor River could never even imagine the hell Riot has been through.

The biggest issue currently, though, was that her wolf was awakening. She could tell. Her scent was as strong as the werewolves around her- and this bond between the two was unmistakable. Her wolf was calling for her. To wake up.

A nudge in the back of her mind shook her unwavering stare. "I think we should let her awaken- fully." 

Riot thought about this. If she's already trying to wake up- perhaps keeping the command over her head would worsen things. She knew it'd be best to agree.

Years ago- before leaving- Artio spoke a command that would keep River's wolf asleep. She was her superior as an elder wolf and her older sister. However, Riot noticed that as River aged and experienced more stress, her wolf was struggling against the binds of the command.

Her wolf will soon be just as powerful as Artio.

A foreboding shadow would tower over her younger sister. She'd feel her lips full back- teeth flashing as she'd watch with aggravation. The look was wiped off her face when she recognized the man behind River.
He had slicked-back, black hair- sharp eyebrows, and glowing chocolate eyes. She knew that stupid face from anywhere. It was goddamn Lucifer! He grew like a tomato plant- now two times the size he was all those years ago.

She last saw him as a scrawny young Beta calling her a cunt in his high-pitched voice. 

This is when memories of- him- returned. His soft umber hair and piercing emerald eyes- gazing at her with love and care. Pain seeped into her heart.

The pain was just as bad as when she first saw River. It dug its teeth into her flesh- gnawing and gnashing its talons at her heart with hate. Grief and remorse swam in her gut as if it were a spa. It hurt. It hurt so much.

She never got to meet his wolf.

Her paws pounded against the earth as she bolted into the brush. She couldn't go through these emotions- not a second time.

Artio spoke to her- but it was as if a heavy fog blocked their communications. Her paws padded on the cold earth, brushing past large ferns and wet bushes. 

Riot couldn't let River experience this pain. She couldn't let her run through the agony of being a werewolf in this hell hole- she needed to get out of here. She'd have to follow her around until she understood her schedule.
Thinking into it- she could plan something that'd scare her away. River was always a shy girl, and that was especially proven by their short re-introduction. It didn't settle well with her to scare her own sister- but it was for the best.

She'll protect her from the fate Riot has fallen into.

From this pit.

Her flesh squeezed and twisted- bones cracking as she'd sank into thick plants and crawled back out as a woman. Pushing past some rocks and dirt- she'd pull out a large plastic container and yank out tight black shorts and a sports bra.

Wiping her feet off before putting on socks and sneakers- she buried the container and left.

Calloused fingers traced the wallet in her pocket- checking for it- before her sharp eyebrows furrowed down. A plan was forming together like a detective's web.

"Perhaps we should leave her be?" Artio would break through the fog.

Riot found this odd. Usually- she'd agree with every plan she had in mind. Artio scoffed. "I never agreed with leaving him." 

The wolf obviously held a grudge regarding what happened eight years ago.

Strutting into a gas station, the door sounded alert due to her arrival. Wandering around the aisles- she'd crouch in front of some spray paint. Her fingers ran across them until she found one in dark red.

Walking toward the till- she stood behind someone with the metal canister in her grasp. 

"Wicked tattoo." A voice spoke behind her. She'd look over her shoulder- dagger-like eyes staring at a woman behind her. Long black hair hung from her shoulders.

Though her bright emerald eyes made Riot pause. "... Thank you." She'd say.

Four years ago- she completed a tattoo on her back. Riot had forgotten it was easy to see with just a sports bra. The tattoo was a snarling wolf with the same blood-red irises in a sea of yellow. It was Artio.

The woman nodded with a curt smile

Riot hurriedly paid for the spray can- but the glowing green eyes she saw on that woman brought waves of memories. Waves of... familiarity.

It was almost as if she knew the girl.