Chapter 9

11:36 am

Alexx sat opposite David Raine. The same guy he met when he attended the party. Earlier this morning he got a call from him asking him to meet at Augustus-Tine.

He had almost forgotten about him until now. The call came a little late but at the right time.

'Augustus-Tine', he thought would be an extravagant restaurant, rather, it turned out to be a cafe. Almost all the customers seemed morning people.

Which reminded him of Clara. She would make a fuss if he woke her up early. Today she wasn't there to trouble him. She said she wanted to take a break. And was going to have fun today. Whatever the definition of fun was for her.

He could understand her, it was only a matter of time before she left again. Though it troubled him where she went. Who knew what was up her sleeve?

"During my research, I came upon a similar case. The only difference is that happened 30 years ago. Children between the ages of 4 - 18 started disappearing. About fifty missing children reports were filed in six months." He paused to look at Alexx's face. Who nodded once in a while but didn't speak a word.

It used to be a very well-known case back then. He remembered his mother being scared. But this young lad in front of him seemed quite un-knowledgeable about it.

Well, now that he thought about it, he wasn't even born in this world thirty years ago.

"Was it solved?" Alexx asked turning his attention to David.

"I guess it did. I'm not sure. I was young back then and couldn't understand the meaning of those words. But those scared expressions and warnings are still engraved in my mind. They said only one girl was found. No one knows what happened to the rest of them" David sighed.

It used to be all over the news. Mothers were afraid to send their children to school. Wherever you went, you would hear all sorts of gossip and theories. That's how bad it was.

"It suddenly makes me curious about what was going on years ago" Alexx relaxed on the chair, leaning his body on the right side.

"It turned out to be some sort of a cult. About the girl..... There wasn't proof but they said she was the only one alive" David said.

"There wasn't any proof she was alive?" Alexx asked, leaning on the table.

"There wasn't. So, As I said, I found a lead, that is related to the girl. I found her address " David said. He looked patient while telling but in fact, he was amazed after finding all the information.

"Will they remember? It has been thirty years" Two lines already formed on his forehead. Showing how deep he was into this.

"She is their daughter. Of course he'll remember " David answered. However, he still had doubts about his statement.

The craze was no more. Even the people have forgotten and moved on with their lives. What are the chances of him remembering it? Even though he remembers, he would probably only know half of it maybe even less.

"His name is Marco Rune. He used to be in the military, he retired soon after his daughter was found. He currently resides in Greta. Be careful, it's a place full of superstition " David warned Alexx. He has been there and it wasn't fun. No one warned him about the things he would face there.

"Thank you" Alexx smiled gently while standing up, picking up his coat which hung on the chair.

"I won't be able to accompany you though. I still have some business left in Belphoebe." David returned the smile. As they shook hands, ending their small and may I say peaceful meeting.

"Don't worry about that. I'll manage" he said while adjusting his coat.

It depended on Clara if they were going to meet that man today or tomorrow. Since she was enjoying out today, he didn't want to disturb her.

If she came home early they'll go. If not he would finish off his office work. He could already imagine the piled-up work there.

                        ___________

9:05 pm

Guess, they won't be visiting the old man today. It was already late and there was no sign of Clara.

After meeting with David he called Clara to ask about her whereabouts. And of course, she thought it was a good idea to use sarcasm. Atleast she told him at last.

She went to their relative, the Gabriel's. He could hear the chaos happening there through the call. Seemed like Martin's and Christopher's were also present there.

After making sure she was in a safe neighborhood he went to finish off his office work. Which took all his time and energy. It was dark when he reached home.

The house was empty and felt cold for some reason. Turned out Clara wasn't home. It would be a lie if he said he didn't miss her. Though he was never going to admit it to her.

He did get a call from William that he'll drop Clara home. But it's past her curfew. Well, talk of the devil.

"La la la la la ~" Clara came in jumping and singing with a grin on her face.

She enjoyed a lot today. Though she missed Alexx a little, a tiny bit. Anyway, today he must have met David. She was happy today, so she was going to forgive Alexx for not taking her with him.

"Don't you think you came early" Alexx snorted, crossing his arms in front of him.

"Of course. I was going to have a sleepover but then I remembered you are alone. And maybe missing me. Who knows" Clara shrugged.

Alexx's muscles twitched at her reply. Taking the last bit of his self-control. As he itched to throw a pillow at her.

She's my sister. She's younger than me. She's family. She's like that. Don't take it to heart.

"Are you feeling cold?" Clara asked.

"No" Alexx looked away.

"Then why are you shaking," Clara said looking at his shivering figure. Which looked none less than a dead frog.

Alexx glared at her. But didn't say anything. As he sat rooted to the sofa.

"Whatever. I'm going to sleep" She turned around happily. Not wanting to delay her sleep anymore. Only to be stopped once again.

"Tomorrow we're going to continue with our investigation," Alexx said. She turned around with narrowed eyes.

"I met David today. The man we met at the party. He found a lead. So rest well" Alexx said. He was ready to go back to his room.

"Oh. Okay"