Chapter 2: Under the Moonlight

"Hey, it's him! How can he even show his face here?"
"Wow, guys look! The piece of shit finally returned to school!"
"You are so disgusting, you should just stay at home, Aaron."
"Get the fuck away from here, you don't belong here anymore..."

"You are worthless"

And then, after what felt like hell, I suddenly woke up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, jolting up and sitting on the bed panting like crazy as my left hand ran around on my face, trying to calm myself down while my eyes darted around the dark room I was in.

Yeah, I still had nightmares from that time...

I slowly made my way up the soft mattress, moving away the monochrome colored covers while my hands were still trembling a little.

It had been a while since I had one this bad. Not to mention, it had been a while since I had a nightmare in the first place.

After stumbling through the place and eventually grabbing a handful of water from the bathroom sink, I looked at my reflection on the mirror, tilting my head as it was hit under the dim, white light of the little lamp on top of it.

"I still looked like a damn mess huh?"

I muttered to myself as my hand ran across the scar on my cheek, I was reminded immediately of that day...One I wanted to forget since forever. But before I could even finish removing those damned memories, I heard something coming from the other room.

"What hour is it?"
A soft, feathery voice whispered as I returned to my bed and sat on the edge holding a glass of water.
"...why are you up Aaron?"

"2:36, also go to sleep Ethan; I was just thirsty, don't worry." I responded back, as a little quiff of black hair arose from the second bed that sat across the room, and a pair of bluish eyes slowly made their way to me, accompanied with a yawn.

"You alright man? I heard you panti-"
"I said don't worry. It was nothing Ethan, I can assure you"
I cut him off, moving the glass on the nightstand as I laid down on the bed, but before long I heard a chuckle and then another answer instead.

"Don't lie to me, Aaron. You had a nightmare right?"
He said while sitting up on his bed, stretching in the meantime.
"Yeah...sorry if I woke you up"
"No worries, was it about...that?"
"Sadly...I don't even know myself why I continue to think about it, even after 2 years."

Ethan looked at me with a sad smile, before slowly muttering:
"Well, it was really a fucked up thing, and I know that it isn't that...assuring but, I'm here if you need me, alright? I was there and I still am, so don't bring yourself down too much alright?"

I glanced at him, before crossing my arms behind my head as a light chuckle left my lips, smiling softly while looking at the ceiling.

"Yeah...thank you Ethan"
"It's no problem Aaron, and since you woke me up, want a cig?"
"Sure."

And after seconds, we were chilling on the balcony, a cigarette in both of our lips as we were illuminated by the pale moonlight of the deep night, chatting and laughing for what felt like the old times.
His blue eyes looked like sapphires while being lit up by the moon, and along with his dark hair and smaller stature, he was always considered more feminine and attractive than most of the other guys, and I couldn't agree more.

It didn't help that he was also charming, reserved, not so talkative and looked exactly like one of those protagonists of romantic mangas for girls.

Sometimes I did wondered how exactly we were so much in sync with each other; maybe it was the fact that we knew one another since we were kids, or that we went through a lot together. But we could die for the other, and I considered him like a brother, and always did.

"Yesterday was such a bad day to be honest, I even bumped on that Carol, or whatever her name was! She was such a brat too, she didn't even accept my help when I held my hand to her." I say, accompanied by a good chuckle while smoke escaped my lips, and Ethan laughed with me, before asking with a smirk:

"Damn, the almighty Aaron got taken down by Miss Popular? Why couldn't I be there!"
He said back, chuckling while flicking away his already finished cigarette, before turning to look at me and smiling softly.
"I'm gonna go to sleep, you should too Aaron, or you'll arrive late again"

And after I responded with a slight nod and a little smile, I turned again to look at the moon, while a thin trail of smoke was making its way up from the burnt end of the cig.

"Will I ever be normal?"

I found myself thinking while looking at the star filled sky, as all of those bad memories seemed to be washed away into that sea of dreams, before I finally decided that it had been up for enough, and I returned to my bed, letting myself fall down on the bed, slowly closing my eyes.

I really hope I won't be late tomorrow.