close call

~Paige~

I woke up on the couch with a relentless pounding in my head, that's definitely a sign of a brutal hangover. I groaned and buried my face in my pillow, hoping to drown out the throbbing sensation. My mind wandered in all sorts of directions. Why did I even get drunk? Who brought me home? What the hell was going on?

In my hazed memories, I remembered that Dione had been there, helping me through my drunken mess. Her face appeared in my mind, and I couldn't help but blush at the memory of her kindness. It was such a stark contrast to the way we had interacted in high school. A soft smile crept onto my face as I thought about it, even though the pounding in my head intensified. Deciding to just go back to sleep, I dragged myself to my room and collapsed onto the bed.

A couple of hours later, I heard a loud knock on my dorm room door. "Azzi!" I shouted, trying to get her to open the door but I was just greeted with silence. I got up and opened the door, my grumpiness visible on my face.

"Good morning!" Nika says, walking past me into the kitchen. Since I lived in one of the athlete buildings, the dorm resembled an actual apartment instead of a little room. I closed the door and went back into my room to get my phone.

My phone, resting on the nightstand, showed a series of missed calls and texts from Azzi and Nika, probably checking up on me. Azzi had texted me to let me know she had gone out with some of the girls from the team and she'd be back late. I quickly replied, assuring them I was okay and that I was just asleep.

Nika walked into my room and sat down on the edge of my bed. "Are you down to go to the football game today?" she asked. Much to my dismay, I had realised that today was game day for the UConn football team. I had completely forgotten about it, and it was a game I had wanted to go to. Although I wasn't sure I was going to go in my hangover state.

"I'd go" I started, "But my head is literally killing me"

Nika walks out of my room and comes back in, throwing painkillers at me. "You're welcome"

"Thanks," I say, walking into the kitchen to get some water to drink with the painkillers. I then think of an idea. "Hey Nika, is it cool if Dione and Jada come too?" I shout at her. "Yeah, that's fine!" Nika shouts back, so I get my phone out and send Dione a text.

Me:

heyy, sorry about last night. thanks for helping me out.

 you busy today?

I waited anxiously for her response, hoping that I hadn't made a complete fool of myself in front of her.

When Dione's reply finally came in, I was relieved.

Dione: 

don't worry about it.

yea im free today, whyy?

Me: 

UConn football game today.

 you, me, nika, and jada?

Dione:

yeah that sounds cool we'll be there.

You hearted Dione's message

-

As the day went on, I tried to nurse my hangover as best I could. Water, painkillers, and a greasy breakfast were my best friends. I wanted to be in good shape for the game and for hanging out with Dione. It was strange how just one night had shifted things between us. I found myself replaying our conversation in the bathroom. It all swirled in my mind, leaving me slightly nervous about our plans for the day. I hadn't planned on apologising to her last night, but it's crazy what a couple of drinks can do to you.