gameday

~Dione~

The day of Paige's basketball game had arrived, and I found myself grappling with a mix of emotions. Should I go or not? It had been a constant back-and-forth in my mind. I know she did ask me to come but I couldn't help but feel confused as to why she had started being so nice to me. My thoughts were broken by a text from her. I had given her my number to text me the details of the game, just in case I actually planned on showing up.

Paige:

its game day!! you coming tonight?

I looked at the message for a second, before ultimately deciding to go to the game.

Me:

yeah ill come, im expecting a win thooo

A few seconds went by before I got a response.

Paige:

i can promise you that🫡

Me:

okayy, ill see you later then

Paige hearted your message

-

"Dione, you're really going to Paige's basketball game?" Jada asked me, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion as we sat in our living room.

I looked up from my phone. "Yeah, I thought I'd check it out. She invited us."

Jada's expression remained puzzled. "But... I thought you two hated each other."

I let out a small laugh, realizing how odd this must seem to her. It had all happened so quickly and I hadn't exactly been updating her. "Yeah, I mean, we did have our differences back in high school, but things have changed."

Jada leaned back in her chair, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. "Changed how? Did you suddenly become best friends overnight?"

I shook my head, a playful smile on my lips. "No, nothing like that. We just... had a conversation at practice a few days ago, and it was actually kinda nice. She's not as bad as I thought."

Jada's confusion deepened. "Wait, so you're telling me that you and Paige had a civil conversation and now you're going to her basketball game? And you didn't tell me!"

I nodded, chuckling at her disbelief. "Yeah, pretty much."

Jada leaned forward, her expression intrigued now. "Okay, spill. What exactly did you guys talk about that turned this whole thing around?"

I hesitated for a moment, considering how to explain our interaction. "She came up to me when I was just about the leave and I didn't leave straight away. I thought I'd give her the benefit of the doubt, and somehow we ended up talking about her upcoming game. She invited us, and I figured, why not? It could be fun."

Jada blinked at me, still processing the information. "Wow, okay. I did not see that coming."

I grinned, fully aware of how unexpected this turn of events was. "Yeah, neither did I, to be honest. But people change, right? It's worth giving her a chance."

Jada sighed, shaking her head in amazement. "I guess so. Well, count me in for the game too. I've gotta see this for myself."

I laughed, relieved that Jada was coming with me, I'm not sure I would've been able to handle going alone.