Twenty Eight | To Give In

Devika :

Devika :

The beauty of pujas wasn't foreign to me.
But here it felt different.
It felt like home, like family.

Yet, I had to leave because Dussehra had to be spent in Jodhpur.
There was this huge event of Ravan Dahan and their own personal Shri Ram, or as you know him Aviram, had to be present there.

I stood before the idol of Goddess Durga praying for everyone's well being. The idol was beautiful, enchantingly beautiful. The puja was taking place in the courtyard of the mansion. The place was busy with servants walking up and down with things.
Nayan was busy with her pet dog here, Dobby The Beagle. She seemed much more lively here, I hoped the liviness would carry on as we go back.

And talking of my darling husband, he was busily talking with his ex father in law about the history of Durga Puja. This man was so deep into the mythological, historical and cultural aspects, that even I had bothered my life to read a few books from the library here.

Come on.. I needed to have such intellectual conversations also. Especially when he looked so absolutely charming in that golden kurta and white dhoti.

Yes. I am absolute simping over that man and I don't care.
He noticed me staring at him as I immediately looked down.

I shut my eyes.

"Durga Maa.. please make Aviram trust me. And then remove that Mrinalini Devi and make me the new head of Gurukul.. and may Nayan be happy always.. may Anamika rot in hell. Yes. That's it.", I whispered.

Just then I felt his warm breath on my neck.
A chill ran down my spine. My heart skipped a beat.

"So you want my ex to rot in hell..", I heard his voice, a whisper that made my stomach do a somersault. I opened my eyes, breath caught up, "Extremely wife like behaviour, Mrs. Raghuvanshi."

And he edged away.
I knew he was standing right behind me, probably smiling that charming smile of his.

I turned towards him.
He looked at me, pretending to be innocent.

And now I was at a loss of words.

"You shouldn't hear other people's prayers, Beast ji.", I said, trying very hard to sound annoyed.
"I apologise.. but if you'll look this good, how will I stay away?", He asked, beaming.

Oh God! This man is making me feel so many things without an effort!

"You-you need to stop flirting..", I mumbled awkwardly, trying to walk past me.
He held my hand the moment I passed by him.

He pulled me towards himself with one smooth movement.
I bumped onto him.
"What..? Everyone's around..", I mumbled, feeling the shyness of the world take over me.
He smiled, almost enjoying the effect he had started to have on me.

"I trust you, Devika Leela Raghuvanshi.", He whispered.
I looked up at him, straight into his eyes.

It was undeniable now, the glint in his deep brown eyes, the way they spoke of love. The hollow emptiness that I had once seen in them seemed to have been washed away.

"Thank you.", I whispered, almost enchanted. His arms tightened around my bare waist.
"Do you.. trust me, Leela?", He asked.
"With all I have, Ram.", I replied almost instantaneously.

He smiled softly.
He released me and took a step back.
And he placed his hand before me.
Just the way he had.. that day at the temple.

"Then it's forever..?", He asked.
I looked at his hand and then at him.
Both of us loved the parallels.

I placed my hand on his. He held it tightly.
"It is forever.", I whispered back.

Aviram :

We got off the flight at Jodhpur and headed back to the palace.

I had eventually given in.
The truth was I did trust her more than even myself now.
And I should let her know of that.
She deserves it.

We walked into the palace along with Nayan. Nayan immediately headed to her bedroom, she had to leave for her Boarding School the day after.
Dussehra was tomorrow.

"Raja ji.. Rani Sa..", Santosh said bowing before us.
"Mrinalini Devi is here to meet you.", He said.

I raised a brow.
"Why would that woman want to meet us?", I asked, more to myself.
"Let's go.", Devika said.

We walked down to the main hallroom of the Palace.
Mrinalini Devi stood, looking as elegant as ever.
Despite everything, she was still my Amma. Someone I had loved and respected all my life.

If I was Ram, she was Kaikeyi.. mislead by the wrongs of the world, but once she had truly loved me. My heart knew.

"I wish to talk to my student.", She said with a subtle smile.
Devika took a step forward, towards her.

"You must perform tomorrow. After all, it is Dusshera. Although no queen has ever performed, but..", She glanced at me, smiling, "Raja ji knows that every year, my best student performs a dance on the occasion."

I nodded, drawing in a deep breath.

"You mean I get to perform the Dusshera dance!", Devika almost squealed in happiness.

"Yes.", Amma said with a soft smile.
"I would love to! Thank you! Thank you so much!", Devika said immediately, almost forgetting about whatever happened in the past.

I was glad, she did.
She must not sabotage her dancing career for my petty family wars.
"And.. you remember the America trip I had promised you when I admitted you?", Amma asked.
"Yes..", Devika whispered in bated breath.

"It's on. And you are coming.", She said.
Devika paused for a moment, almost shocked in happiness.
"So.. get ready.", Saying so Mrinalini Devi walked past me, out.

"Leela?"

She immediately snapped out.

"Yaay!! OMG! Can you believe it?! Me...dance and America!", She said almost hoping up and down.
I couldn't say I related much since I had literally spent my whole childhood in a Boarding School there, but it was heartwarming nonetheless.

She rushed down to me and hugged me tightly.
"All my dreams will come true, Ram!", She whispered.
I wrapped my arms around her softly, inhaling her scent.
Wishing her happiness would last forever.

Little did I know.

•••