Twenty Four | A Mishap

Aviram :

Aviram :

THE SUN had almost set. And Devika was still not back.
I sat at the dining table of the tiny house, sipping tea made by my sister in law.
Santosh had done me the favour of sending my clothes and cologne here.
So I wore a casual shirt and trousers now.

Mihika sat on the chair beside me, with a book, glancing at me from behind it every now and then.
Purohit ji was off to the temple for the evening veneration.
"You want to say something?", I asked softly, watching Mihika's antics.

"Ha? Me.. no no.", She said looking embarrassed.
I smiled at her, as warmly as possible.
"It's okay. I am your Leela Di's husband. You can behave normally around me.", I said.
Mihika lowered the book and drew in a deep breath.

"You know Raja ji.. I was very small when Maa passed away. Although I love teasing Leela Di.. she has filled the void of a mother for me all my life..", her tone softened as he kept the book on the table,
"My Di is very rebellious and impulsive. But she is a very nice person."

She paused, looking at me with pleading eyes.
I drew in a deep breath.

"Please love her the way she deserves.", She said softly.
My heart skipped a beat.

Love?
I looked down awkwardly.
She was about to say something else when we heard the sound of a car rashly stopping before the house.

"Raja ji?", I heard as I stood up.
It was the Inspector.
"What happened?", I asked. He looked panicked.
He gulped nervously, and drew in a deep breath.

"You must accompany me to the police station.", He said.

The moment the police jeep stopped before the police station, I almost hopped off.
The Inspector had refrained from telling me anything.

I walked into the police station behind the Inspector.

"LEAVE ME!", I heard a frantic scream of a man.
It took me moments to recognise the voice.

"Vinay?", I said softly, as I stared at the cell right before me. Vinay stood behind the bars, clutching onto them, full of aggression.
"Your Highness, you must visit the waiting room once.", the Inspector said softly.

I immediately jogged down to the waiting room.
"Don't worry Rani Sa. No one who dares to touch you inappropriately will go unpunished.", the lady officer told the covering figure of a woman before her, sitting on the seat.

The moment the officer noticed me, she immediately stood up.
She bowed in courtesy and rushed out, right past me.

The woman turned.

"Leela?!", I asked, absolutely taken aback.
Her state looked deplorable.
Her lustrous hair, a mess. Her lipstick was smudged, face tear smitten.
I immediately ran down to her, feeling my breath leave me.