Fourteen | A Call After Years

Devika :

Devika :

THE CLOCK struck one at night.
And I lay awake on the bed.
Only inches away from the King of Jodhpur, my husband and the man who had forced me into this alliance.

Yet, for the first time, his presence did not seem to affect me negatively.
I lay in silence, looking up at the ceiling.

Why do I even care? He ruined my life and here I am ruining my sleep over this man.

I forced my eyes shut.

For moments there was silence and then I heard him mumble in his sleep.

"Don't.. don't leave..", he whispered.

I sat up, drawing in a deep breath.
"Anamika.. ", he whispered, with the world's sadness in his tone.
I shut my eyes, exhaling sharply.

"I.. I am sorry..", he mumbled. His voice trembled.
Had he let his guards down around me?
Maybe in his sleep.

I lay back, now looking at him.
The silvery moonlight flooded into the room. I could tell he was deep in his sleep.

"It's okay..", I whispered back, thoughtlessly.
He simply turned over to the other side, looking away from me.
As if satisfied.

An approval seeking King of the Darkness.
Irony.

I finally shut my eyes.

My eyes opened to sunlight right on my face.
I sat up, yawning.

"Good morning.", Aviram said with the cupboard open before him.
"Morning.", I said stretching.

Then I glanced at him.

"OH GOD!", I shouted reflexively looking away immediately.
"What?", He asked as if nothing had happened.
"How are you roaming around bare bodied!?", I shouted, firmly looking away.

"I am wearing a towel around my waist Devika. You saw me without a shirt before this.", He said, sounding amused.

"You were doing the veneration that time but—"

"Stop behaving like those shy wives in television serials.", He said, almost laughing.
He did have a point though.

Dumbo Leela!

I got out of bed with an embarrassed 'Huh'.
I looked at him from the corner of an eye.

Before this I was not exactly noticing the man's physical attributes, I was too busy with the beauty of his music.

But now, that I glanced at him, I simply couldn't tear my eyes off.
Just a white towel around his neck and one around his waist. Water still dripping off his absolutely chiseled physique. His hair was slicked back, and even with that annoying moustache, the man looked absolutely enchanting.
What was Anamika even thinking when she left him?
I mean he's this typical hot, handsome and oh so hot Prince Charming.

He forced you in this marriage, Leela.

I finally looked away as my mind chose to pull me out of my fantasy land.

"Enjoyed staring at me?", He asked finally turning towards me.
And I firmly looked at the dressing table's mirror.
And looking at his reflection on the mirror.

He smiled charmingly.

Damn that smile.

"Huh! You are not some Greek God that I will enjoy.", I lied, but anyways.
He looked at me with the 'I know you are lying babe' look.
I looked down at the dressing table, picking up a comb randomly.

"I am leaving for office now. I hope you will have a great day in here.", He said casually removing his towel.

"I need to be dropped off at the Gurukul Academy. I can't keep staying locked in your palace, Beast Prince.", I stated sharply.

He looked at me for a moment and then drew in a deep breath.
He slid his hand into his white shirt. And wore it.
Thoughtfully.

"Mrinalini Devi is coming over to my office today. You might want to meet her there.", He said.

My heart skipped a beat.
I immediately turned, almost squealing with joy.

"Really?! OMG! I NEED TO MEET HER!", I shouted like the absolute fangirl that I was.

"Okay.. calm down.", He said softly, taken aback.

"Yay! Finally I get to meet her!", I said immediately jogging to him.
"Listen carefully, you will not be rude to me before her.", I said looking him in the eye. He smiled at me awkwardly.
I dusted off my collar, "I have an image to maintain, Rakshas Ji.", I said.

"I love the way you are ordering me and calling me a beast in the same conversation.", I said, with his classic amused smile.

"Iss meeting ki keemat, aap kya samjhenge Rakshas Babu.", I said as dramatically as possible, while he just smiled.

"Okay bye. Wait for me. I will be back in a moment.", Saying so I jogged past him into the bathroom.

Aviram :

Devika ran into the bathroom and shut the door.

She was a child locked in the body of a twenty five year old.
And somehow I enjoyed it.

It was strange how she was so casual around the man who forced her into this marriage.
But probably that was exactly why she found ways to smile and enjoy in the Palace of the Beast.

Rakshas Ji.
I smiled to myself, putting the buttons of my shirt.
I refused to remember anything that happened yesterday. As if it had never happened.

"Pass my saree and a towel!", She shouted from inside.
I sighed and walked down to her suitcase.

Nothing worthy of a queen.

"Wait! I will get you something good!", I shouted back.

"Arrey! I can't wait!", She said like a stubborn child.
"Fine! Come out without clothes. Maybe your Babuji will re accept you.", I said pursing my lips trying very hard to not break out in laughter.

"SHUT UP! PATHETIC RAKSHAS! I HATE YOU!", She started with her rant of how pathetic I was, as I called Santosh to get a saree from the exclusive royal collection of my own company's sarees and a towel, of course. It was only a matter of minutes.

Along with land and estates, we dealt with sarees, textiles and handloom work. Anything that gave my people employment.

I drew in a deep breath as the call hung up. I looked at the shut door.

"Calm down Devika!", I shouted back, "I am getting your clothes."

"Whatever!", She snapped irritably.

Just then my phone buzzed.

I looked down at it.

Rani Sa (Dil Ki)

I stared at the contact name that flashed on my phone's screen.

After years. I thought.

The Queen of my Heart.
Anamika was calling.

•••

Drop in your views!