You Need to Calm Down

The suspense was killing me as Karly led me down the hallway, her hands covering my eyes. This nursery she designed with Korra was really supposed to be something.

"No peeking!" Karly said.

I heard Korra open the door to what used to be my bedroom.

"That's literally impossible with your hands over my eyes," I said.

"And...surprise!" Karly said, uncovering my eyes. "How much do you love it?"

"This is...amazing!" I said, ready to jump through the roof.

Before me was a beautiful purple nursery with not a single drop of pink. The cribs were white and had matching butterfly sheets and mobiles. A white dresser was along the back wall, topped with a purple changing pad. There were lots of canvases on the wall of different sayings and butterflies, all painted by Korra.

The curtains were purple and white so they matched the crib sheets, and there were white Christmas lights bordering the ceiling, exactly like my bedroom back at my dad's place. A cute reclining rocking chair was in the corner, and the room was tied together with a gray and white rug.

I ran over and sat down in the rocker, imagining holding my two little girls, feeding them in the middle of the night while I watched a show on my lap, which would sit perfectly on the white side table that was next to the rocker.

"You guys seriously need to calm down. This is too much!" I said.

"I haven't even opened the closet yet!" Karly said.

"Stop. What on earth did you do in there?" I asked.

Karly opened the door, revealing a fully-organized closet full of different clothes. There were all different colors, but not a single drop of pink clothing. I was about to cry happy tears.

"We had to buy extra suitcases to bring home all the stuff. This is from Ganny and everyone else back in Dublin," Korra said. "We just need to get diapers and some extra stuff."

"Well, we have a lot of time left," I said.

"But mom says it'll go by before you know it," Karly said. "Gotta be prepared."

"Very true," I said, letting out a long sigh.

"You ready to see your new room?" Korra asked.

"Huh? There's a part two to all this?" I asked.

"Yeah! One room for each of us to work on. I did the entire nursery, other than the stuff she painted, and Korra designed your new bedroom!" Karly said.

"Well, I guess we have to check it out then!" I said, hoisting myself up from the rocking chair. I swear, it felt like every day, as I got bigger and bigger, it became harder and harder to go from sitting to standing.

I took one last look at the nursery before leaving, noticing the letters on the walls above each crib. One had the letter R, and one had the letter B. Karly and Korra promised me they'd be the only ones who knew the names for both girls, and so far, they'd kept that promise. All we needed to do was keep it until the girls were born.

We walked over to my new room, which was the one that used to be only Korra's, and opened the door. I couldn't believe it. It was like Taylor's song Lavender Haze came to life. The walls were painted off-white, but all the accents were lavender.

"Holy...is that the bassinet that I wanted?" I asked, running over to it. "This is! It's the one just for twins!"

"Mom got that one," Korra said.

"You even found a way to get purple sheets for this thing, too?" I asked.

"Well...yeah. I had to," Karly said.

When I looked on the bed, I saw an amazing u-shaped pregnancy pillow. I nearly drooled. I was going to sleep so well. The off-white walls were covered in framed Taylor Swift posters. There was even a brand-new mini fridge, which I loved.

"It's perfect, because you can store all your...bodily fluids in here so you don't have to go downstairs and come back up to feed them," Karly said.

"You mean breastmilk?" I asked.

"Yeah I know but that word just kinda sounds gross," Karly said.

Korra and I both had a good laugh, and then we formed into our triple-trouble group hug. It felt good to be back with my sisters, even though I missed my friends and Brayden. I'd only been gone since this morning so we could bring some of my stuff back. I got a lot of free baby items from Opal's family that wouldn't fit in the car along with my suitcases.

"I hope this makes things at least a little better," Karly said.

"It does. It definitely does," I said, sitting down on the bed. "You guys know I love you, but I just want a new start, right?"

"But when the babies get here, it will be new!" Karly said.

"No, it's not like that. It's the same house. Same town. Same memories," I said.

"We'll do our best to help you make some new ones," Korra said.

We settled in for the night, and I got some amazing sleep with my new pregnancy pillow. The next morning, my mom made us breakfast, then we piled in the car to get the rest of my things. I couldn't believe it was my last day in Allistar Lake for the foreseeable future.