22. Riddle

Walburga didn't burn his face off right away. The family avoided each other and didn't leave for France. They refused to attend the Christmas party.

Orion had insisted, but Walburga blew up at him and they had reached the decision not to.

Cassie locked herself in her room. She refused to believe that Sirius had actually left. She wanted to believe that if she didn't leave her room, if she just made quidditch plans and pretended it didn't happen, then– then she would be able to see him at school again like everything was normal.

Even though she knew that wasn't going to happen.

She especially knew that something was going on when she was called down from her room and the formal dining room was set. Her parents were sitting across from each other, but there was a mysterious man that she had never met sitting at the head. He had brown hair and fair skin, but what was unusual about him was his eyes. His eyes were yellow with a red iris that resembled a snake.

It was disturbing, but still Cassie didn't say anything and took a seat at the placement next to her mother. "Cassie," Orion called her attention.

"Will Regulus be eating with us?" She questioned him and Walburga coughed.

She took her hand, making Cassie jump in her seat a little, "no, dear, we have a very important person here with us for dinner, it's good to show him a little respect."

Orion nodded, "This is–"

"Tom Riddle," he smiled, reaching his hand out. She smiled courteously and shook his hand.

"Cassiopeia Black," she responded.

"This is the Dark Lord," Orion announced finally and her eyes widened a fraction, but she composed herself. She didn't want to make a mistake, she had heard what he had done to others who did and it wasn't pretty.

She bowed her head a little, "My lord."

Riddle shook his head, "that is alright, it is nice to meet you Casieopia, I heard that you are one of the children being trained for me correct?" Cassie quickly gave him a nod. The house elves started filing in with food, placing it in front of them. Riddle reached for the food first and got his serving before the Blacks started to as well. "I came to your parents shortly after you and your brother were born, I wanted two sets of twins to be trained, where is he?" He questioned, looking at her parents.

Both looked nervous, "he's not here at the moment, he decided to go back to school early to finish school work," Walburga laughed, covering up what really happened.

Riddle hummed, "ambitious about school, should've been in Slytherin," he commented and both the parents laughed and nodded.

"Certainly should've," Orion agreed, drinking his wine.

"Well, no matter," Riddle looked between both parents. "I heard he's not the one that matters. That she's the big ticket item."

Walburga gulped, but nodded quickly as she ate. "Of course she is, she's had the most training. She's done things most people wouldn't dream of even trying."

Riddle nodded, pretending to be interested, "Well, of course, I will still have to work with her one on one, but it's a good beginning." Cassie put down her utensils.

"I'm sorry, what's happening here?" Cassie asked with a laugh.

Riddle stopped chewing and looked between both parents, "you haven't told her?" The Blacks avoided looking at either one and just stared at each other as they drank their wine in sync. Riddle scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Your parents promised that by the time you had your ball, you would be ready to join my ranks."