Stinging eyes...

The Stone, whose true name was Ikol, questioned Emily about her rejection of Caroline. Seeking refuge from his persistence, Emily stepped onto her bedroom terrace. The cold wind brushed against her face, offering a fleeting sense of relief. However, Ikol persisted, prompting Emily to dismiss him. She asserted that he could never truly grasp the complexities of love, despite his ability to read her thoughts. Her emotions remained beyond his comprehension. Emily's family stood as her vulnerability, and she couldn't easily transform a curse into an instant blessing for another. Ikol accused her of still viewing him as a curse, to which Emily responded with silence.

"Emily?" Karen entered the scene. "Yes?" Emily replied without averting her gaze. "Sweetie, it's time to come down for dinner. Everyone's waiting for you," Karen informed her.

Finally turning to face her mother, Emily met Karen's eyes. Karen inquired with a questioning expression, and Emily glanced sideways. "Sure, I'll be down in a moment."

"Okay, but don't take too long."

Once again, the crisp wind caressed Emily's skin, causing her to close her eyes and cherish the fleeting tranquility. Gazing upwards, she beheld the star-studded sky, reminiscent of a painting she had crafted during her youth. The artwork depicted a resplendent sunset, blending an array of hues from deep purples to radiant oranges. Overhead, the clouds appeared to waltz in the gentle breeze, casting playful shadows upon the land below. The air carried a sweet, floral fragrance, as if the very Earth itself pulsed with life. As the final traces of daylight faded, the stars began to twinkle, each one more luminous and captivating than the last. It was a truly enchanting sunset, but it lacked the presence of someone to share the evening with.

Years ago, Emily and her father would marvel at such magnificent sunsets back on Earth. The realization that those moments were forever lost and unattainable now brought a hint of moisture to her eyes. She managed to restrain the tears, although they stung at her eyes.

"Still ruminating about your father, I see," intruded Ikol, the enigmatic being who could delve into her thoughts. Emily retorted, "None of your concern."

--

The dinner table buzzed with excitement, animated conversations emanating from all sides. Enzo's tales of adventure intertwined with Leon's soulful discussions, preventing any semblance of boredom. Yet, Navin and Aly seemed engrossed in their own world.

Emily marveled at how she still saw Navin as the young boy who used to argue with her about boarding airplanes. Now, he stood before her as a mature teenager, having seemingly grown up overnight. Responsibilities had transformed him, yet Aly had the ability to invoke his inner child. Aly, with her sweetness, skills, and charm, garnered everyone's affection. Perhaps Navin's feelings ran deeper, *smirk*

However, Emily remained absorbed in her thoughts. Just as she believed the atmosphere had settled into normalcy and cheerfulness, her son Moze dropped another bombshell, shattering the transient tranquility. Uncertain of what lay ahead, Emily braced herself. An unshakable feeling of impending doom gnawed at her.

After dinner, the household retreated to their respective rooms, and Karen bestowed a tender kiss on Emily's forehead. Karen perceived a subtle shift in her daughter's demeanor, as Emily now openly smiled and embraced physical affection. Yet, Karen remained unaware of how swiftly things could revert to their former state.

Climbing the stairs, Emily felt an irresistible urge to confide in someone about her feelings. She knew exactly who would be the right person to confide in.