20 | Poison

IYAN

For a moment, I found myself drowning in the darkest places of my mind.

I had planned to gently coax her into shape. Even when it seemed like it wasn't working, I promised myself that I wouldn't have to use those words on her.

It scares me that I might turn into the monster that woman wants me to be so badly.

I regard Analia as she trudges tiredly to meet Auriana, who already has a plate of a liquid substance in her hands. Soup, I presume. She must've made something while Analia and I were out training.

I still don't trust her, but I can tell that she bears no ill will towards Analia. I can't say it's the same for me, though; I know she doesn't trust me either. She probably just pretends to, for Analia's sake.

The air is thick with a certain familiar presence that makes my fists automatically clench together as I approach Analia and Auriana while they both chat animatedly about something. Since we stepped into this terror, it's been hard not to notice fate's unmistakable aura. Its darkness almost suffocates me, and the feeling of being wrapped in a choking embrace causes my insides to churn.

She's without doubt watching us.

No, she's without doubt watching me.

"Here's your bowl of cabbage soup," Auriana says, trashing a bowl filled with liquid and green vegetables floating around into my hands as I approach them at the doorway.

"It tastes bland, but it's better than nothing," Analia informs me with a gentle smile, lifting the bowl to her lips and slurping from the bowl.

I watch as she gulps down the contents, my eyes trailing down her neck without meaning to. I forcefully shift my gaze away from her, staring down at the slightly cracked bowl in my hand.

I lift the bowl of soup to my lips as I take a sip of it. Apart from tasting revolting enough for me to spit out, something feels oddly out of place. Perhaps it's because I'm not used to the food commoners eat, or it's the fact that a sour flavor tinges my tongue right after I gulp down the vegetables in the bowl.

Something about it feels familiar.

I lower the bowl to find Analia and Auriana staring wide-eyed at me. My brows furrow together at Analia's hands, which are shaking as she points at my face. Her eyes are frantic, her face a deadly pale.

Blood sputters on the ground, and it takes me a while to realize that the blood is oozing out from me.

I'm bleeding?

Me?

"Goodness," Auriana exclaims, shoving the bowl from my hand, and its contents spill all over in the process revealing the seed of a poisonous flower just as Analia takes tentative steps towards me.

I keep staring at the seeds in shock. Those seeds, I can remember them anywhere.

How did I get poisoned by Hemlocks? Those flowers are only found in my mother's garden.

"Iyan," Analia shrieks in alarm as she uses her palm to wipe the blood, I presume, is dripping from my nose away. My vision starts to become fogged, making it hard for me to see Analia, who is in front of me.