10 | Oasis

ANALIA

WE SPENT THE NEXT three days observing the changes in the weather. Iyan noticed that it followed a pattern: first came snow, and then a blazing sun. A heavy storm that almost flooded our cave followed, and then the last day which is today is a complete calm. Iyan concluded that we had to cover a great distance in the space of a day.

True to Iyan's words, a wolf did come into the cave with its newest hunt yesterday. I screamed at the top of my lungs when its amber eyes made contact with mine and bared its canines at me.

Iyan was quick to subdue it with only a look, and thanks to that, we were able to get the wolf to carry our things instead of eating it for dinner. I still find it strange how only an eye contact from Iyan tamed it to the point it began to act like a puppy.

With our things packed up neatly on "boy," our wolf's back, we head out.

The cool air slaps my skin and makes me shiver slightly as we walk through the deserted plains of Asha's land. The weather, dare I say, is perfect. The sun doesn't burn my skin but rather caresses it softly, and neither is the air harsh to breathe in.

I've been wanting to ask why we've not encountered any other demigod or companion. I understand the land is large enough to accommodate us all without running into one another, but I find it strange. If the other demigods were able to find out this pattern of how the weather changes, shouldn't everyone be out now?

We're heading to the same place, aren't we? We're surely bound to run into someone.

A gust of wind brushes past us, and I scrunch my nose at the smell that reeks in the air. My cheeks start to heat up when I realize that the horrid smell is coming from me. I haven't had a bath in days, and for the past few days, I've been almost frozen to death and burnt to death.

I need to take a bath soon. Iyan might just die because of this stench.

I let my eyes wash over Iyan's unbothered figure. Boy walks obediently beside him, and neither of them seems to notice that I've stopped walking.

For the past few days I've spent with Iyan, I've learned quite a few things about him. He's always thinking about something, and he doesn't speak unless he deems it necessary for him to speak.

"Iyan," I call out, but it comes out barely audible. I bite my bottom lip and try again with a louder tone.

"Iyan."

He stops suddenly in his tracks and whips his head to the position where I'm supposed to be beside him. When he doesn't find me, he looks behind him. I crack a smile when his eyes find mine and scrunch up together in confusion.

I jog up to him but remain a safe distance away from him. I don't want him suffocating because of how bad I smell.

"Could you please check the map if there's an Oasis or lake where I can take a bath? I smell horrible," I tell him, looking anywhere but his eyes.

"We both smell, but there's no time to take a bath." He answers dismissively.

"We both smell?" That's not true. I lean forward subconsciously to take a whiff of him. He moves back suddenly in surprise, causing me to fall flat on my face. I groan at the impact of my face hitting the ground. Not only do I smell, but now I'm covered in sand and have bruises on my face.

"What were you doing?" He asks as I lift my face off the ground. I take his outstretched hand and try to dust the sand sticking to my body off.

"I was trying to smell you," I answer, a little annoyed. It doesn't make sense that I'm annoyed, seeing as I'm the one who crossed the line, but having greasy hair and patchy oily skin is starting to rile me up.