05 | schemes

ANALIA

THE SOUND of chattering around me as my fellow companions munch down on bread and milk causes my ears to tingle. Tomorrow is the day when we meet the demigods and everyone seems to be rather excited. I sip slowly from my cup of milk and rest my feeble hands on the wooden table where I'm seated.

After the meeting with the princess yesterday, I was taken to a room far grander than I have ever slept in my life and here I am sipping expensive milk and munching down on freshly baked bread. This feels like a calm before the storm. I try to enjoy myself though because this will probably be the last good food I'll eat for months.

According to Princess Kora whose name I learned from a fellow companion, journeying in Asha's realm takes about two months and that's because her realm is like a world on its own. It's crazy when I think about it. It simply means we'll have to survive in each terror for at least two weeks. The more I think about it, the more I realize how suicidal becoming a companion is. It makes me wonder what the rest of them who enlisted want so badly. Their resolve is just as unshakable as mine and that's dangerous.

"Ana right?"

I lift my eyes that are glued to the finely polished table to the person speaking.

My eyes meet those of green ones that belong to a lanky male with shaggy ginger hair. An arrogant smile tugs at his lips as he raises his head in a condescending manner

"Yes," I answer without breaking eye contact. Just because I look like a child doesn't mean I should get picked on. I won't allow him in any way to look down at me. "Is there something you need?" I ask, making sure my gaze doesn't waver. His lips curl up in annoyance at the fact that I'm not trembling in fear at him.

"Tch," He tosses his plate on my table in annoyance before leaving.

My brows knit together at the audacity but there's nothing I can do about it. I can't retaliate because of my size and I can't take off this necklace either. The realization of my weakness angers me to the point that I lose my appetite.

I stand up from the stool I've been sitting on with a loud screech and head to the kitchen with both plates. We were instructed not to leave our plates behind so I can't just leave them be, besides I would like to avoid any unnecessary conflict with the other companions.

The hallway is eerily quiet as I walk down its gravelly tiled floor to the kitchen. I heard from the companions chattering amongst themselves that the Demigods were in this same castle with us. I try to be as stealthy as I can as I pass by closed doors, the last thing I want is to come across a demigod. My heart skips a beat when I sight Princess Kora from a distance and I quickly hide behind a statue in the hallway hoping it's large enough to conceal my small stature.

It's just Princess Kora though and it makes no sense that I'm hiding from her but then again, there's something about her that makes me uncomfortable. I watch her as she draws closer and stops in front of one of the closed doors. It seems the companions were right, the demigods are right here in the castle with us.

Her platinum blonde hair is braided in two and her dress is an almost see-through white made from silk that flows down to the ground. She looks rather angelic enough to deceive people. She knocks softly on the door and in a matter of seconds the door is opened. I can't see who the person she's speaking to is but the softness of their voice almost makes me want to melt into a puddle.

"How is Iyan doing?" The voice which I assume belongs to a man asks. His voice sounds like melody in my ears, the depth of its softness entrances me.

Do all demigods sound this way? I wonder.