03 | Outside

ANALIA

MY BREATHING is coming out short and labored, a sign of the fear that's eating me away. I'm scared and my feet remain rooted on the ground. This is the point where I'm supposed to run or stab him in the arm with my arrow but fear grips me tightly choking the air out of me. I remind myself that I have to be brave. I have to do something or else I'll never truly be able to leave.

"No," I mutter. "No!" I say more audibly.

"I'm not going back there to rot and become nothing. I just need a safe trip to the capital sir. You're wrong about yourself you know, you look nothing like a monster. I'm not scared of you because if you try anything funny I'll stab you." I yell out the last part and try to calm my breathing as it is the only thing that cuts deep into the silence.

He stares at me blankly before he suddenly bursts into peals of laughter. "You sure don't speak like a child," he remarks in between his peals of laughter while wiping the tears that have accumulated in his eyes. "Get on, we don't have all day, the journey to the capital is a tedious one."

My eyes water instantly and I bow curtly at him in earnest appreciation. "Thank you so much, sir-"

"Raymond and I'm not a noble Lord so Raymond will do just fine."

"Thank you, Raymond. I will never forget your kindness." I run back to get my things then settle into the wagon beside barrels that seem to be filled with liquor.

The wagon starts to move and I feel the weariness I've been feeling all night long begin to sink into my bones. I know I should be vigilant but I'm so tired that being in this uncomfortable wagon makes me feel sleepy. I rest my head on a barrel and doze off.

I am woken up by the sound of voices around me. Light pours into the wagon through the front opening of the cover which is slightly blocked by Raymond's back. I sluggishly crawl forward to take a look at the scenery of wherever we might be since the back is blocked off with barrels. As though sensing that I'm awake, Raymond's deep, rough voice rings out.

"Good morning child." he greets without turning his head back.

"Good morning Raymond. I must have been so tired." I admit now poking my head from the cover. A quiet gasp leaves my lips at the sight I behold. Unlike my town which is filled with tiny cottages and huge walls trapping us all in like a pen, I can sight huge buildings from afar. The streets look modernized with bricked floors, the men and women walking and chattering on the streets are dressed finely, a contrast to the rags I'm wearing.

"Where are we?" I ask still allowing myself to admire the scenery before me. In Ansyer we hardly saw any birds. Mother said that it was probably because we didn't have many trees and things that could attract them. In all my years of living in Ansyer, I have never seen a flock of birds together. I am really glad to have left that place. I would never have experienced such beauty had I not left.

"The capital- Chrollo," Raymond answers, snapping me out of my little haze.

My eyes widen slightly and I lean forward, enough to see the back of his head that's covered in a brown hat, golden streaks of hair mixed with grey peak out from underneath it. He has a peculiar scent, one that I can't quite describe. It oddly reminds me of fresh grass.

"Chrollo?"

"Yes, goddess Asha's father. The capital is named after him." Raymond explains although unnecessarily seeing as I already knew that. The towns and lands of our realm are named after the gods except for Asha who was powerful enough to have a realm all to herself.

"I'm dropping you off at the princess' palace right?" He asks and my brows knit together in confusion.

"Why would you drop me off there?"