02 | freedom

ANALIA

A COMPANION is basically a servant to a demigod. On the pyramid, we mere humans with no magical talent are left as suitable candidates for the position. A companion risks their life for their master. They hunt, protect, and kill for their master but luckily a reward is due at the end of the journey. That is if they don't end up in the stomach of some monster or murdered by their fellow human.

That is exactly why I am not fit to be a companion. I would die in a matter of seconds. Not only am I terrible at cooking, but my archery skills are also the worst to ever exist. I am simply a human with no talents to show except my knowledge of medicinal herbs. A knowledge I acquired from my mother.

"I wouldn't last for five minutes in Asha's land." I point out to Gina whose smile wipes off immediately. She breathes out a sigh and mutters something under her breath before she eyes me in annoyance.

"You have to give it a try."

"I'm only speaking the truth. I would be gobbled up in seconds and grandmother also told me that Asha's land is quite different from the human realm. The seasons change in a matter of seconds . I also heard that most crops grown there are detrimental to mere humans like me-"

"Analia! Asha's land is the only place no one would be able to find you. Trust me when I say this, you will be completely safe." she sounds fed up now and I completely understand her, I'm fed up with myself too.

"What about the blazing fire? If I leave this town, my destiny-" She cuts me short by placing a finger in front of my lip.

"Keep thinking about that and you'll wind up staying in this town forever. Seers don't control your destiny Ana, you do. All we do is say the things we see or hear and most times the things we say are riddles that may never be understood. I understand that you're afraid but being a companion and winning is the best shot at getting your happiness back. You could get your entire family back."

My eyes widen at the realization of her words. She's right. I won't have to be lonely anymore. I won't have to count the days to a loveless marriage. I can set out on an adventure my grandmother once journeyed on. I can rewrite my destiny.

I'm about to jump at her and give her a hug but the sound of footsteps approaching the tent sends my heartbeat into a frenzy. I immediately unclasp the necklace hoping that the effects will wear off and no one will find me as a child, which would completely spoil my plans.

A rush of nausea hits me and once again my body feels both weightless and heavy all at once. The feeling is short-lived though and it takes me a moment to realize that I'm back to my normal size. Gina's expression also gives that away. Right on cue, Alicia walks into the tent with a tired-looking man holding a child in his arms.

I guess my time with Gina is over.

Alicia sends a look of annoyance my way as she settles on the ground across from the man. Her eyes are telling me that I'm a nuisance and that I have to leave. I give a slight nod and whisper a 'thank you' to her before focusing my attention on Gina one last time.

Leaving this town would mean leaving Gina behind.

As though reading my mind, she pulls me in for a hug and whispers into my ear. "Don't even think of changing your mind because of me. Wherever you are, I will be there too."

My heart swells up and I find myself smiling genuinely, " thank you, Gina." I tell her as I pull away from her. She gives me a small smile and winks before she leaves to settle beside Alicia.

I clutch the necklace in my palm and with one last look at Alicia and Gina, I leave the tent and head back home.

I live alone so, understandably, my cottage which is quite bigger than my grandmother's is empty. After my parents died, their things got shared amongst their relatives. Relatives who never for once came in to check up on me and how I was faring. They didn't waste any time claiming the things that belonged to my family. I had no one by my side so I couldn't raise my voice and fight against them.