Stranger Like Me

The pilgrims were talking amongst each other as they began their walk out of town. Wukong and Lin were busy poking fun at Tripitaka for having to turn down another marriage proposal when Bajie started yelling. "Hey! Thief! Get back here!" The three turned to see the pig demon yelling at a short cloaked figure dashing away between the trees. On the ground lay their scattered supplies.

Lin ran over to help Bajie pick everything up. "Monkey-" Tripitaka started, turning towards his oldest student.

Wukong was already booking it after the thief. "On it, Master!" Wujing ran after him. The two pilgrims dashed after the cloaked form. The mysterious being crouched before launching into the trees, jumping from tree to tree. "If you get back here I promise I won't kill you!" Wukong called out despite having not decided if he was going to kill them or not.

"Liar!" A soft voice called. The figure was rummaging through the stolen bag, tossing unwanted items at the king.

After the second bowl smacked the ginger monkey's face he snarled. "That's it! Stick!" Stick shot forward, knocking the thief out of the tree with a quiet yelp. Wukong dropped down in front of their groaning form. The king heard Wujing a short ways behind him as he stomped up to the thief. The figure's hood covered their face as they scrambled back.

"S-stay away!" The thief warned, trying to scramble back. Their cloak got caught and the hood fell back, revealing a slim monkey with marbled white and black fur. Both monkeys froze.

Wukong gawked at the other monkey's pale fur, inhaling sharply. "Oh." The shorter simian shrank in on himself as he stared up at the king with wide vibrant blue eyes, six brightly glowing ears anxiously twitching. "You're like me." The sage whispered, a note of awe filling his voice. He'd never seem a monkey like him before, let alone one so... pretty.

"You aren't a thunder-god." The other's soft voice seemed to drift on the wind. "You're the Monkey King, aren't you?" There was a hint of awe in the strange monkey's voice.

"Y-yes. That's me! T-the Handsome Monkey King, Sun Wukong!" Wukong stuttered, eyes darting over the other celestial primate. He puffed his chest out as he smirked at the pale monkey. "And you are?"

"I'm Liu'er Mihou." The marbled simian replied with a shy twitch of the lips. Wukong felt his heart speeding up. "I didn't realize you were the pilgrims traveling West. I would have left you alone had I known." The king offered a hand up to the shorter monkey. Mihou took the hand with a grateful smile.

Wukong grinned back. "I'm glad you didn't!" Stick hummed loudly, teasing the king. "Not like that! Shut up, Stick!"

The marbled monkey chuckled, covering his mouth. "You think so, Stick?" Wujing's wide eyes darted between the two blushing monkeys, a slow smirk spreading over his face.

"You understand Stick?" Wukong gasped, face flushed. "No one else has ever understood them!"

"But he's just talking?" Mihou murmured with a shy smile. Behind them the rest of the pilgrims finally caught up. "My apologies. I was unaware you were the group of pilgrims selected by the Bodhisattva Guanyin." The quiet monkey bowed to the monk with a sheepish smile. "It's an honor to make your acquaintance." The slim monkey straightened, six ears faintly glowing. "I am Liu'er Mihou, the Six Ear Macaque."