Chapter 29

Irwin Pristine

My sister hid secrets well. She gave me nothing and I left feeling none the wiser to her plans. What was she doing up so early anyway? I pushed that to the back of my mind and focused on cleaning these streets.

It was earlier and it gave me some freedom to clean without people staring at my back. I finished up rather quickly and made my way to Hallondare. Walking the streets of this rising hill community permeated quite the lowly experience of my presence.

The houses were either two stories or just very good-looking with extravagant grills and lawns. The paint shifted from bright to bold tones against the cold greenery.

The streets were quiet. I turned back and went down another road that led downhill.

I wished this job paid more. Something was better than nothing I guessed.

Soon, I confirmed Rigga was a jackass alright, for the streets were filled with garbage.

Rigga was the person that was hired before me and he was supposed to clean Hallendare but he was not doing his job!

The dirty johncrow!

I had to clean up used baby pampers, the highlight of my day. My resolve died within the chill of the brightening surroundings firmly held by the darkness's grip.

I heard a tapping sound, so my head went up. My eyes blinked when I saw her. She was rather tall, probably taller than me. Her beauty was darker than my morals with curls glinting brighter than her aura.

Also, why was she running this early? She was in sweats pants and a hoody. Her slim body was hidden in the slack wear. I had to ask though, why was she running? She was not fat. She looked fit. So she could not be running to lose weight. Maybe she was training for a sport.

She glanced my way. I was caught staring. I fidgeted and said, "Morning!"

She turned her head away from me and continued onward. The young woman was gone and I was stooping in front of a pile of garbage with a shovel in hand. She saw me in an unflattering state.

Why was it that I always ended up talking to beautiful women at the worst time?

Another day, another cleanup of garbage, I felt so fulfilled. That was a lie, but I rather lie to myself than accept my drab fate.

I called her father, Mr. Town and he directed me to a house near the center of Berryhill.

It was not a lot of garbage, so I only had two black bags to my name, one full, the other half. Mr. Town was a tall man, muscular from his service to the country's armed forces.

He always kept telling me I should join the army due to my height. I would always say I would think of it. The truth was I would not be caught dead in army clothes.

We loaded the bags onto his truck. He was about to leave when his last name, Town, was called.

It was Vanessa and she walked up to us in her box braids, shiny lipgloss, patterned skirt, and sleeveless blouse. "Mother wanted you to carry the market stuff tomorrow if you can."

Mr. Town nodded his head. "No problem." He turned and went around the truck. Vanessa had not even looked at me before turning on her heels. What, that was it, not even a morning? Was it because the football was over and done with now? I shook myself out of that reverie and stepped out of the yard.

The truck left and I took the slow descent into the street. "Irwin!" That voice sounded familiar. I turned to see Vanessa exiting the same house towards me. Yes, she had not forgotten me. We met halfway in the street. "Hey, sup?" I asked.