Chapter 21

Nodelyn Johnson

"I swear to God, Donavan, you better remember this. You owe me!" Terry bellowed. He turned back and forth in frustration to the sound of his heavy breaths. Terry paused, turned back around, raised his arm in fury. "And me expect to be paid!"

I shook my grinning head while Vannessa tried to calm Terry down. Donavan stood behind Terry with a nervous shake of his legs. We were at the entrance of the pit. The low raising growl of the crowd was infectious.

Terry was wearing the stylishly black jersey of the team, because one player decided to not come, so they asked Terry to sign up to avoid disqualification.

Leon came to Donavan, whispering in his ear and they both left together. Terry looked in space, saying, "I swear, can't believe this-"

Vannessa said, "Don't worry about Donavan. Just do this and you guys can win."

Terry sighed then rubbed the bridge of his nose. "This was not how I planned to spend my evening." He flashed his arms, shaking the tape around his wrist. "I don't even know how to play."

My eyes flicked over his short, but stocky body that lifted the jersey's material against the straps of his skin hugging pants. Last time I saw him he was a skinny man, but, boy, have times changed. Terry may not know the sport, but he definitely looked built for it.

I said, "With your strong body, that shouldn't be a problem."

Terry looked at me with his unwavering dark brown eyes. A smile appeared over his round, full jaw. "Thanks, ah... Nodelyn." The smile was brief, for Terry looked down and tried to tucking in the back of his jersey. "Yeah. See you guys after the game."

Vanessa said, "Sure."

I replied, "Yeah man."

Terry walked down the tunnel, and we went back outside. We decided to buy some food, because I might as well try to enjoy myself even though I know I wasn't going to.

The warm streak pummeled me. Sweat peeled off my brow as my legs carried me forward. I needed rest to cut off this growing exhaustion. We walked in between the curving passageway leading out to the parking lot. The stores were bustling with many adults and students, while the big food court consisted of tables dotted with couples, rowdy groups of students or loners probably trying to get Wi-Fi.

Vanessa and I walked with Phillips gripping my left hand, for my right hand held buttered corn. Whether I was going to finish it in the stadium was anyone's guess. It was not a bad thing coming here. The place was magnificent, awe-inspiring.

The fun arcade captured Phillip's wild side, for he rampaged through there, but I pulled him. Now we were going to see how the boys were doing, for I never seen them play. Neither did I want to. Sports were boring.

"You have your ticket?" Vanessa asked.

"Yeah." I checked in my handbag. "Should be..." I found them. "Yeah, got it."

"Good, I nuh have no uniform to get in free," she said.

Vanessa wore a brown crop top that flowed loosely over her bosom and spun in swirls around her revealed navel. This complemented her jeans and brown slippers well enough.

Three thousand was not expensive when you would have watched two to three matches, plus got concessions at the many restaurants here. Seemed like value for money in a way, but I still would not have paid that. I was trying to save money, not spend money. We got those tickets free for being with the team.

"They are smart though to let the students walk in free. A student's them will become the next football players at the end of the day, so if they can get them to like the sport then that loss was worth it," I said.