Ghosts

Kali ended up crying herself to sleep not too long after they returned to the dorm. Enid and Wednesday watched her sleep concerned, both at a loss on how to help. They just wanted her to be okay, but didn't know how to get her there. It didn't help that neither could relate to her situation. They didn't know what it was like to lose a sibling, and definitely not hallucinate them still around. So what could they do?

"Do you think she'll even remember once she wakes up?" Enid asked before turning to look at Wednesday next to her. "What if her brain makes her forget again?" She looked back at Kali worried.

Wednesday folded her arms. "It is possible, but I don't think it will. Part of the reason it did so in the first place was because Kali had no other reason to live besides Rhea. But she has plenty of reasons to live now, so her brain doesn't need to alter itself to give her one. She'll remember when she wakes. Though it's up to you whether you think that's good or bad."

Enid sighed. "I just wish I could help her."

"As do I. I also wish she hadn't murdered Bastian."

Enid turned to Wednesday in disbelief. "I thought you believed in the death penalty."

"I do." Wednesday turned to her. "But she killed him before we could find out where the organization's new hideout is." She looked back at Kali. "Though that was probably his plan. He's a coward and knew he wouldn't hold up under torture, so he antagonized Kali till she snapped."

Enid thought that made sense. Especially since Bastian himself said he wasn't afraid of dying. "But can't we forgot about looking for the organization now? We were searching for it for Rhea, but now that we know she's dead, is there even a reason to continue all this?"

It was Wednesday's turn to look at Enid in disbelief. "You're kidding, right? How about for all the kids still trapped there? Or all the future kids that will be if we don't put a stop to this?"

"Okay, but Kali—"

"Doesn't have to be a part of it anymore if she doesn't want to be. But I can't in good conscience stop now."

Enid placed her hands on her hips and sighed. "Yeah, I figured you'd say that. Had to try though."

Wednesday walked over to her desk to grab her backpack. "You stay here with her. I'm going to the science lab."

"Why?"

She shrugged on her backpack. "To see if I can figure out what Bastian was talking about in regards to the foreign cells in Kali's body. If they're not going to kill her, then what happens when it reaches one hundred percent?" She walked over to the door and stopped at it to look at Enid. "Text me when she wakes." Enid nodded and Wednesday left.

She arrived at the science lab quickly, expecting to find it empty at noon on a Sunday, but inside was Bianca mixing chemicals at one of the benches. Bianca seemed just as surprised to see Wednesday as Wednesday was her.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday asked.

"AP chem project," Bianca answered before turning back to her chemicals. "What about you? I thought you, Enid, and Kali went to confront Asclepius."

"We already did." Wednesday walked into the lab and sat herself in front of a computer. "It didn't go well."

"He wouldn't tell you where the new hideout was?"

Wednesday turned on the computer and logged in. "Kali killed him before I could torture it out of him."

Bianca stopped pouring her chemicals and looked up at her. "Shit, really? Why?"

Wednesday sighed and explained what happened. What they learned about Rhea and Kali's subsequent breakdown. At the end of it Bianca asked why she wasn't with Kali right now, so Wednesday then explained what they did get to learn from Asclepius. How Kali isn't dying, but the foreign cells are taking her over as some kind of means to an end and they don't know what it'll do once it's completed. And that that's why she's in the lab while Enid stays with Kali, to try to figure it out. After that their conversation ended and the two worked in silence.