Do You Trust Me?

Thankfully their second period was with a teacher who truly couldn't care less, so Kali got to tell Enid everything. She told her about the organization, being kidnapped at five with her three month old sister, being experimented on, fighting to survive and earning her name, the deal she made so her sister wouldn't have to fight, and finally the police raid that rescued her while her sister is still stuck there and how she won't stop until she finds the organization again and saves Rhea.

By the time Kali finished explaining everything, Enid had never felt more terrible. She couldn't believe everything that Kali had been through. It broke her heart to listen to her story, and her wolf was crying inside of her. But she wasn't just sad. There was this protectiveness building inside too. Enid never wanted Kali to feel that type of pain again. She wanted to wrap her in a blanket and hide her away from the cruelty of the world.

"Can I hug you?" Enid couldn't stop herself from asking.

Kali stared blankly for a few seconds. She thinks she remembers what a hug is, but she isn't entirely sure. She doesn't want to agree to something when she doesn't know what it is for sure, but Enid was looking at her with her lips tugged downward and wide watery eyes. She was basically pleading with her face and Kali was certain a hug couldn't be anything bad.

"Okay." Enid immediately leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her. Kali stiffened in her hold, unsure what to do next. Instinct told her to push Enid away, but she was so warm. Kali liked it.

Enid felt Kali tense and didn't want to hold on too long, but the scent of apples and cinnamon made her tighten her arms as she breathed it in. The scent was intoxicating and Enid had to force herself to let go. "Sorry, I probably made you uncomfortable."

"No. It was...nice."

Enid smiled softly. "Well, then feel free to hug me anytime." She took a deep breath. "So what have you and Wednesday been trying to do to find the organization? She mentioned hacking the police database in New York."

"Yes. It was through there we learned about Micheal Green, the man who tipped the police off about the organization. We plan to visit him in prison to see what he knows."

"How do you plan to get there?"

"Wednesday says she's taking care of it, but it'll be a few days."

"What are you doing in the meantime?"

"Waiting."

Enid's face fell. "Yeah, but like while you wait."

"Eugene and Wednesday are still trying to teach me how to read and write. We meet everyday at three."

Enid chuckled. "Okay, but like what about for fun? What do you for fun while waiting and when you're not learning things?"

Kali blinked a few times. "I've never done something for fun."

Enid froze, unsure what to say for a few seconds. For a moment she had forgotten that Kali is basically new to the world. Of course she's never done something for fun. "Alright, you are joining me, Yoko, and the others for girls night tonight."

Kali recalled Yoko being the name of her roommate. They haven't actually talked or interacted outside of when Kali panicked and destroyed her alarm clock. "I don't think Yoko likes me very much."

"She's just a little scared of you." Enid waved it off. "She'll like you once she gets to know you." The bell rang for the end of class making Kali jump startled. Enid gave her a moment to take a deep breath. "Come on, you can eat lunch with us."

Enid stood up and led the way to the cafeteria as Kali followed. "What about Eugene and Wednesday?"

"They'll sit with us too. They usually do anyway."