The Results Are In

Enid didn't leave until it was lights out and then she departed reluctantly. They had spent the whole afternoon together listening to music. Kali held Penguin Enid and Panda Enid Junior in her lap, while Enid sat behind her and ran her hands through her hair for a bit. Then she asked Kali if she could braid them, and after explaining what braids were by using Wednesday as an example, Kali agreed. She wanted them just like Wednesday's, but Enid told her that her hair wasn't long enough. So instead Enid gave her two French braids. Kali was happy with the results and there was another small upturn of her lips. Like a quick twitch. Enid thought she was hallucinating.

After Enid left, Kali went to sleep. But she found herself waking up in a cold sweat just a couple hours later. She had a nightmare. Now Kali was sure. Enid's pain magic extended to nightmares. Whenever she slept with Enid she didn't have them. She liked not having nightmares. So she quietly crawled out of bed and made her way up to Enid and Wednesday's dorm.

She tiptoed up the steps and slowly opened their door. She peeked her head inside and saw Enid fast asleep in bed. Carefully, Kali stepped inside and quietly closed the door behind her. She dropped to her hands and knees and crawled over to Enid's bed. Enid's arm was hanging off of it, so Kali tugged on it.

"Enid," she whispered. "Enid." Enid groaned but didn't wake up. "Enid." Kali tugged harder.

Enid's eyes fluttered open and when she saw Kali staring at her she squeaked and jumped away. Then her brain registered it was Kali and she had to take a few deep breaths to calm down. Finally she turned back to her, still groggy. "What are you doing here?"

"Can I sleep with you?" Kali pleaded, looking up at Enid while sat on the floor. "Like, cuddle?"

Enid looked at her clock on her nightstand. It was two in the morning. "Why are you asking so late?"

Kali looked down. "I had a nightmare. But I never have them when you're holding me." She looked back up at her. "So can you?"

And how was Enid ever supposed to say no? "C'mere." She opened her arms and Kali quickly climbed in. Enid held her tightly and kissed her head. "G'night, baby." She was too tired to realize what she said as she quickly fell back asleep.

But Kali had heard her. Baby? She didn't know why Enid would call her that. But she didn't hate it.

—————

Enid woke up to the feeling of being watched. Her eyes opened and she found Wednesday standing by her bed with her arms crossed, already dressed in her uniform. She jumped startled and had to take a deep breath to calm down.

"Wednesday, what the hell?" She very carefully let go of the still sleeping Kali and crawled out of bed.

"I'm certain Kali wasn't here when we went to sleep last night," Wednesday said in her usual brand of monotone.

Enid rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. "She snuck in around two in the morning because she had a nightmare. It seems like she gets them a lot, which makes total sense. But she said she doesn't get them when we're cuddling."

"I see. Then her being here will become a nightly occurrence?"

Enid shrugged. "If she wants it to be. You don't mind do?"

"Of course not. I'm happy you can help keep her nightmares at bay. I'm certain even I wouldn't enjoy the ones her mind no doubt subjects her to. I am worried about you though."

"Me?"

"Can you handle cuddling her every night? Which to my understanding is something that couples do. Yet you're not dating. I don't want you to neglect your own emotional wellbeing just to take care of Kali's. So I ask again, will you be able to handle it?"