CHAPTER 4

-ADJALA-

-ADJALA-

-|HELLGATE PRISON was Kaz's next stop. Even though Adjala was used to her brother's crazy ideas, she hadn't expected him to be this kind of crazy.

It was a little too late to protest, as she and Inej had already reached the little island.

They came here because her lovely brother Kaz intended to free prisoner Matthias Helvar, who would act as their outside man with inside information about the ice court.

Former Drüskelle and renown for his looks and build, Helvar had been charged for Human Trafficking and corruption under Kerch law. Adjala wondered how those laws were never implemented for the slavers who snatched Inej away from her parents. Or Tante Heleen, the monster who ran the Menagerie.

Adjala pulled down the mask on her scarab queen costume as she saw the four familiar figures emerge from the boat on the docks.

Nina Zenik was barreling toward her through the crowd, arms spread out, to engulf the girl in a hug.

Adjala was nearly out of breath when the Heartrender hugged her, "Good to see you again too, Nina." She managed to say.

"How did you even get here?" Nina asked

"We came earlier on a supply barge."

Nina furrowed her brows. "Do people just come and go from Hellgate for
fun?"

"Once in a week they do." Said Inej.

"Why-"

"Quiet!" Kaz interrupted the heartrender. "Let's move on."

Her eyes found their way to his. Elijah fell instep beside her, and Adjala could smell his ground coffee perfume through the rotten scent the island carried.

"And I thought you couldn't look more horrid than you do already." He remarked.

She wanted to strangle him. "I could say the same to you, Rollins."

"Let's move on, shall we? And keep quiet while you're at it." The lieutenant said, directing a glare at his sister.

"Don't shush me, Brekker," Nina whispered furiously. "If it's this easy
to get into Hellgate-"

"The problem isn't getting in, it's getting out. Now shut up and stay
alert."

Nina had to trust Kaz to run the game. He'd made sure she didn't have any other choice.