Star Trek Voyager: The Mylar Cat (Chapter 17)

**The Away Mission**

As news of the upcoming away mission spread among the crew, Aki found himself swept up in a whirlwind of emotions. Excitement and trepidation blended together, creating a palpable nervousness that settled in the pit of his stomach.
The prospect of leaving the safety of Voyager for an actual away mission on an unknown planet, no matter how routine the mission seemed, offered a whole new level of unknown fears for him.

He closed his eyes, letting the significance of the moment seep in. Tapping his fingers nervously on the edge of the bed, Aki's thoughts raced. The holodeck was one thing, a controlled environment where he could simulate his way through different scenarios. But this... this was real.

The paradise planet they'd landed on a few weeks previous was different, it was purely for recreation and because they had physically landed on it, the safe refuge of Voyager was always just a stone's throw away.
Yet this forthcoming away mission was an entirely different prospect. It meant venturing out while the ship remained in orbit, potentially stepping into danger with a plethora of unknowns, thousands of miles from Voyager's sanctuary.
His could feel his thoughts begin to spiral into a torrent of distressing scenarios, fueled by the uncertainty of it all. Worries about confronting hostile beings or daunting creatures started pushing into his mind, until he took a deep breath, striving to quell his runaway imagination.

Aki was stood alone in his quarters, his gaze fixed on the neatly folded outdoor civilian fatigues that Tuvok, in his quiet guidance, had suggested he replicate and wear for the mission.

Aki knew this mission was important, and every individual's contribution would be an invaluable cog in the intricate machinery of it.
He had understood the depth of this, knowing that his role, though seemingly minor in the context of everything, would still be an important thread woven into the tapestry of their collective effort.

Yet amid all his apprehension, a gentle warmth kindled within him.
The thought of being a part of this family, with its deep connections, felt like a soothing balm to his nerves. It forged a new-found determination within him, prompting him to embrace his role wholeheartedly, and to stand shoulder to shoulder with the people he loved.

In the bustling mess hall, Aki found himself embraced by his circle of friends. Tom Paris, his expression a mix of warmth and understanding, stepped closer, his hand resting affirmingly on Aki's shoulder. "You've got this, Aki. Remember, every away mission is an opportunity to learn and grow, and we'll be right there beside you."

B'Elanna joined the conversation, her gaze softening as she met Aki's eyes. Her voice carried genuine reassurance. "Don't let those nerves get the best of you. Just remember, we're always a team out there. Lean on us, and we'll all have each other's backs."

Aki's smile emerged as a response, their words managing to cast a glimmer of light into the shadows of his apprehension. Chakotay's steady demeanor also provided a comforting anchor, and even the typically reserved Seven of Nine granted him a slight but encouraging smile, an unspoken gesture of solidarity before their imminent mission began.

As the crew gathered in the transporter room, Aki felt a mixture of camaraderie and determination. He might have been nervous, but he also felt part of something bigger now. He looked around at the faces of his fellow crew members, each one carrying their own set of emotions. He wasn't alone in this; they were all in it together.

His heart raced as he stepped onto the transporter pad, his hands slightly clammy. He exchanged glances with Tom, who gave him a reassuring nod. The hum of the transporter filled the air, and in a matter of seconds, the familiar walls of Voyager vanished, replaced by the beautiful landscape of the planet.

Lush vegetation stretched as far as the eye could see, with colorful fruits hanging from the trees and exotic flowers blooming at every turn.

The members of the away team were divided into smaller groups, each tasked with specific food gathering and testing duties. Fate, or perhaps the guiding hand of those involved in ship's operations, placed Aki in the same group as B'Elanna Torres.

He stole a quick glance at her, his heart suddenly quickening its pace. Aki knew B'Elanna well from a different realm, one of friendship, informal camaraderie and shared laughter, often with Tom, but now he would be working alongside her in a professional capacity. Her reputation as the brilliant chief engineer preceded her, and Aki suddenly felt the weight of her technical prowess hanging in the air; the prospect of working beside someone with such a formidable reputation felt surprisingly intimidating to him. But Aki was determined to uphold his own standards and show that he could be valuable asset to this team. He knew this was a chance to rise above his own apprehensions, and to contribute in a way that would make his crew mates proud.

The small group set to work, carefully selecting the ripest fruits and vegetables and storing them in the designated containers. Aki's keen senses as a cat-boy allowed him to identify the best produce with ease, and he worked diligently to keep up with B'Elanna's pace.

Time passed swiftly, and soon all the containers were filled with a wide assortment of edible and often exotic food supplies.
The mission had been completed successfully.

——

The return walk to the transporter coordinates was accompanied by a growing sense of accomplishment for Aki. Not only had he worked alongside the Voyager crew on an away mission and had contributed to the well-being of the ship and crew, but he also no longer felt as apprehensive or nervous as he had been when the mission began.

He was walking alongside the members of B'Elanna's team as they strolled chatting and relaxed, heading across an open dry dirt area of grassland.

Suddenly, a strange hissing, whooshing sound could be heard.
Before anyone could react, a strange pink cloud erupted into the air all around them from what appeared to be small nozzles in the ground, dusting the group in a hazy pink mist of what looked like plant spore dust.

The cat-boy's heart raced as he realized something was wrong. His heightened senses detected a faint, sweet aroma emanating from the dust, but his instincts screamed danger. He opened his mouth to try to warn his friends, but he couldn't produce the words. It was as if his voice and throat had been instantly paralysed.

The pink spore dust rapidly dissipated, almost as quickly as it had erupted.
The the away team exchanged confused glances, trying to fathom what had just happened and why they were all now covered by this light dusting of pink powder.

Aki suddenly felt extremely disoriented, his surroundings blurring into a haze. His legs, once steady and sure, now felt like unsteady pillars of uncertainty. His attempts to move seemed futile, as if his body had taken on a will of its own.

"Are you alright?" Called a female voice, it sounded distant and echoed, as if coming from far away.

Aki's vision dimmed, his equilibrium slipping away. He fought to stay upright, but his strength was dissolving like sand through fingers.
The realization hit him like a jolt—he was in danger. Something was adversely affecting him and he wasn't able to control it.
Panic began to claw at the edges of his consciousness, each beat of his heart amplifying the fear that coursed through his veins. His limbs felt heavy, unresponsive, as if he were sinking into a bottomless void.

In his mind's eye, disjointed images of his friends and the ship he called home flashed by like fragments of a shattered mirror. The faces of Tom, B'Elanna, Kathryn, and others overlapped, their voices a distant echo in his ears.

Aki's fingers twitched involuntarily, and he fought to keep his eyes open, as if doing so could somehow anchor him to reality. His chest tightened, his breaths becoming shallow and labored.
He sensed himself falling and glimpsed a blurred view of crew members rushing toward him. They were in slow motion, but he could see their arms outstretched, reaching to grab him before he hit the ground.

In that fragile moment between consciousness and darkness, Aki clung to the memory of his journey, to the camaraderie and the strength he had found within himself. And as the world of consciousness slipped away, he held onto the hope that his Voyager family would be there to guide him back, just as he had come to love and trust them in every step of his voyage.