Star Trek Voyager: The Mylar Cat (Chapter 2)

It didn't take long for the little black and white cat to settle in and feel at home on Voyager.
All of the crew took an instant liking to it and were happy to have it around. They were so enchanted by it and couldn't believe how friendly and loving it was.
Anyone who interacted with it commented on it's incredibly soft fur and its big, bright, beautiful azure-blue eyes, many suggesting it was like staring into deep nebulae.
Even Tuvok, had found himself petting the little furball on more than one occasion, for "curiosity" reasons, at least that's what told anyone who witnessed it.

The cat clearly adored being around people and would spend as much time as it could seeking out attention, always nuzzling itself up against them, eager to be stroked, petted, held and cuddled.

It officially lived with the captain and spent much of its time either in her ready room, or in her quarters where she had replicated a cat bed and a few toys to keep it occupied, but it always seemed more interested in just snuggling up to her, or anyone else nearby, at every opportunity.

Some crew found themselves looking for excuses to visit the captain, just so they could get an opportunity to pet the adorable creature and Janeway soon found herself with a long list of volunteers, should she ever need a pet-sitter.

Whenever Kathryn sat down, the little cat would come and nuzzle itself up against her, or lay in her lap.  She didn't mind at all, rather the opposite; she cherished it's company.
Often while she was working at her console, she would unconsciously reach down to continuously pet and stroke it.

She had become addicted to feeling its silky smooth fur, especially around it's ears, while it purred with great contentment, pressing and nuzzling its head firmly against her hand, lapping up the attention.

Janeway had never encountered fur so soft before. The exquisite luxurious feel of it beneath her fingers was sublime and never failed to promote a serenely relaxing experience.

It took her a few days to finally settle on a name. After much pondering, she eventually settled on Aki, a suggestion from one of the crew; a Japanese name which translated as 'bright autumn'.
She felt it seemed fitting, because she'd found the cat during Mylar's autumn time and because it seemed so bright and intelligent, but also, she just liked the name and felt it "looked like an Aki".

It was about a week after leaving Mylar, during the evening. Kathryn had gone to bed a little earlier than normal. There was no particular reason why, it was just something she did from time to time.
She climbed into her bed, looked at the little cat and patted the mattress beside her, hoping for a chance to pet it for a while before going to sleep.
She'd found stroking Aki's super-soft fur before sleeping, always put her in a very relaxed and peaceful state of mind that helped her achieve a very deep and restful sleep.

The little cat happily jumped up and joined her, curling itself up beside the captain.

Kathryn smiled at what she considered the cutest, friendliest and most loving little creature she'd ever encountered.
"I'm so happy you came to live with us," she spoke softly as she tenderly caressed the exquisite velvety fur behind its ears, "you've only been with us a week and already, I couldn't imagine life without you."

Despite its originally destitute and near-starving existence, Kathryn had always remained impressed at how the little cat seemed so happy and bright all the time. It felt inspirational to her, like an optimistic metaphor for their current situation.

She shifted further down into her bed, under the covers, until she was laying comfortably on her side beside it.  With the smile never leaving her face, she spent time lovingly caressing those beautiful silky soft ears while listening to the soothing, almost hypnotic sound of it's very contented purring.