Chapter 10: Close Combat

Eren hurled his fist with overflowing fury, landing it on the Armored Titan's cheek

Eren hurled his fist with overflowing fury, landing it on the Armored Titan's cheek. The impact was so forceful that he felt his wrist break, both bodies crashing to the ground with primordial violence. Dust rose in a thick cloud, momentarily obscuring Mikasa's vision from the walls. Her gaze, darkened by sorrow, reflected the self-criticism of not being strong or skilled enough to strike down Reiner and Bertholdt fatally.

"Eren..." Mikasa's voice was a whisper laden with emotions.

Her lips tightened, anger coloring her face as she watched the Colossal Titan, half-reclined on the wall.

"If I had cut their throats at that moment... I lost the opportunity. I should have been able to do it. Why? Why couldn't I kill them?"

The memory of the terror on Bertholdt and Reiner's faces overwhelmed her. They had shared three years of rigorous training, and at the critical moment, she had hesitated. Now they faced two problems of immense magnitude.

"There won't be another opportunity like that... And I wasted it!"

She looked regretfully at the cloud of dust where Eren and Reiner were. Meanwhile, atop the wall, Hanji and Y/N, with their view obstructed by the Colossal's steam, noticed Bertholdt moving his hand towards them.

"He's going to attack, Hanji!" Y/N shouted, shielding Historia with his body.

"Get away from the wall!" Hanji ordered.

The Colossal, moving slowly due to its size, swung its hand over the wall, trying to sweep everything in its path. Several soldiers propelled themselves to avoid the strike. Y/N grabbed Historia and pushed back, but the Colossal's hand was coming towards him, as if trying to catch him.

"Why is it after me? Or is it after Historia?" Y/N thought amidst Historia's screams.

The dust cloud followed the Colossal's arm, forcing the veterans, including Hanji, to take cover. Y/N tucked Historia under his arm and covered her eyes with his hand.

"What are you doing, Y/N?!" Historia shouted.

"The steam can burn your retinas."

Y/N pushed Historia away while he felt the Colossal's hand closing in on him. He had to protect her, so he allowed himself to be caught. The pressure of the Colossal's grip and the steam were unbearable.

Historia, opening her eyes, saw she was no longer in Y/N's arms and realized the horrifying outcome.

"HE'S GOT Y/N AND YMIR!" Historia screamed in terror.

"And he grabbed another one!" added a soldier.

Y/N felt his senses fading, the world becoming blurry. Barely conscious in the titan's mouth, he thought, "What do they want from me? I'm just a mere soldier... No, I'm more than that... but not on the level of a shifting titan... my mind..."