Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Justin

I felt a hand on my shoulder, pulling me towards the owner. I expected it to that boy tried to hit Maya earlier. I growled inwardly about the thought of someone laying a hand on a girl, especially Maya. I waited for hateful words and maybe a fist to hit me as I faced the owner of the hand on my shoulder but, I turned to see Maya. My breathing immediately hitched and my heart sped up.

"It was you!" She exclaimed. Her hand was still on my shoulder. I glanced at it, causing her to awkwardly let it drop to her side.

"Wh-what was me?" I stuttered nervously. I glanced side to side, desperately looking for Ryan to save Maya from knowing me.

"You were the one who kidnapped me!" She replied quickly.

I squinted at her," Kidnapped you?"

"Yeah! After Josh's party?" She didn't sound sure of herself and she fiddled with her thumbs uncomfortably.

I giggled slightly," I didn't kidnap you. I just drove you home because you and your friend were both wasted."

She looked offended," I wasn't wasted!"

I looked down at my feet," Sure you weren't." My hands went to my pockets. My heart was still pounding in my chest loudly. I was surprised Maya didn't hear it.

She shot me a glare and didn't say anything. We sat in silence for awhile until Ryan came jogging over to me.

He glanced at Maya then me and said," What's up man?" He held his glance at me before looking back at Maya.

I heard myself say," Nothing. I was just coming to find you actually." I scratched the back of my head nervously and tilted my head towards the direction of my car. I saw Maya cross her arms and sigh quietly.

I realized I didn't introduce them. "Oh Ryan! This is Maya and Maya this is Ryan." I spoke quietly. Ryan smiled and nodded at her politely.

Maya flashed him a smile, which caused my heartbeat to pick up again, and whispered out,"Nice to meet you."

Ryan nodded again," You too."

It was silent again, so Ryan broke it," Well we better get going, we have to meet up with Josh, remeber?"

I nodded quickly, desperately trying to get away from this situation. I looked at Maya, her arms were crossed and she was biting her lip gently. I asked her quietly," Do you think you can uh.." I placed a hand on the back of my head awkwardly," keep quiet the car ride home thing?"

She looked surprised, almost offended actually,bauble she replied in a slightly sharp tone," Why?" She kept her arms crossed.

I put my hands in my pocket, her tone made me nervous, so I said carefully," I don't want other wasted girls to expect me giving them rides home after parties." I shrugged my shoulders in a hope to lighten the mood an I felt a half-smile grow on my face.

She giggled lightly in understanding," Okay gotcha. I'll see you later." Those last three words pounded in my ears and made me swoon inwardly.

Ryan murmured a goodbye quietly and I nodded towards her coolly," See you." A small smile sat on her face as he walked towards her car. I watched her go for a while before turning to Ryan with my eyes wide," Dude!"

He shot me a weird look," What?"

A smile spread across my cheeks," I talked to her! I can't believed I talked to her." I let out a long sigh.

I saw Ryan roll his eyes," I know man, I was there." He started walking to our cars, which were parked next to each other like always.

I jogged after him to catch up. I continued," It just felt so right, like I just finished a marathon, I was winded and dizzy and nervous, but it was for a good reason." I let out a soft giggle and I felt myself smile.

He arched an eyebrow at me," Justin, what has gotten into your head?"

I stayed silent, lost in thought. I thought about how Maya said 'I'll see you later' and how she made me feel like I would collapse at any second. We kept on walking towards our cars. I reached for the keys to my Frisker ad unlocked it, hearing the click from ten feet away. I walked towards the driver's seat and opened the door. Ryan was about to get in his car but I stopped him," Ryan?" I felt my voice get serious.

He opened his car door and rested his hand on the top of it as he turned to look at me. He nodded towards me," Yeah?" He looked worried because of my tone of voice.

I rested my arms on top of my car. I looked around and licked my lips nervously. I was afraid of what Ryan might think of me when I said what I was about to say.

"Well?" Ryan said.

"It's her." I replied. I looked down at my feet with my hands still resting at the top of my Frisker.

He took his hand off his car door and crossed his arms. He squinted his eyes," Who's 'her'?" He uncrossed his arms only to cross them again after forming quotations with his fingers on the word 'her'.

"Maya." I replied simply. I looked back up at him to see his reaction.

He stepped away from his car and towards mine. His arms now rested on top of my car. "What do you by 'it's her' then?", he asked.

I sighed and put my hands in my pockets. "She's what's gotten into my head. And I don't plan on letting her out anytime soon."

Ryan looked at me seriously and nodded. I looked down at my feet in embarrassment, my cheeks felt hot from blushing.

Ryan sighed," Justin don't be embarrassed with the way you feel about her."

I looked back up at him, wanting him to continue. I felt my eyes squint in confusion.

He sighed," I'm actually jealous."

I laughed," Of what?! I can barely stand by her without my heart almost pounding out of my chest!"

He shut me up by saying," I'm jealous because the way you feel for her. I just wish someday I find a girl that I feel the way you do for Maya."

I nodded in understanding before getting into my car. I watched Ryan nod a good-bye before getting in his car and driving off.

I sighed and started my car, letting it warm up. I saw Maya's Impala drive past me. She saw me and waved slightly in my direction. My heart fluttered and my hand shot up quickly as I waved back, a small smile on my face.

I don't know what it was about her and why I never noticed it before now, but I couldn't shake her or the feeling I got around her.