Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Maya

I clenched my fist in nervousness. I pictured this moment differently, with smiling faces and maybe even a hug, but an awkward distance stayed in between us.

"I was..uh..wondering how you were doing?" He asked as he shifted his weight uncomfortably. He wore blue jeans, black vans, a white shirt with his varsity jacket covering it. His hair was a sandy color and it sat perfectly on his head. His light gree eyes looked at me with an expression I couldn't read.

I ran a hand through my hair," I'm.. I'm good actually. And you?"

He shrugged," I've been better." He walked closer to me. My nerves caused me to stay where I was.

I squeaked out," I'm sorry to hear that." He stopped in front of me, his green eyes looking deeply into my blue ones. The same eyes that I fell for two years ago. The same eyes that I miss seeing everyday.

"There's nothing to be sorry about Maya." He replied simply.

I stayed quiet since I didn't know what to say. It was silent for a minute.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked.

I nodded slowly and looked at my feet.

"Do you miss me Maya?" He asked.

I looked up from my feet in surprise from the question. I felt myself nod and heard myself say,"Do you miss me?" I looked back down at my feet.

I felt his hand on my chin, gently forcing me to look up at him. His touch made my heart flutter and made me wonder if he had felt that too. He answered me," Like crazy Maya." I didn't say anything so he continued," I miss seeing those blue eyes of yours everyday. I miss hanging out with you and going on dates and stuff. You can't tell me you don't miss it to." He dropped the hand that was in my chin, letting my heart calm down.

"I do miss you Luke, but we agreed that we should be friends." I replied, carefully not bring up the constant fighting between us.

"So you're just going to give up on us?" He asked, tensing up.

I replied quickly, "It was a mutual break up, Luke. We both agreed that-"

He cut me off angrily,"I know but that it was a mistake." He cupped my face in his hands and continued," We dated for two years Maya, you can't just let that go."

I didn't say anything. His green eyes danced, searching my face for an expression. I noticed him moving his face closer to mine. I stayed where I was, I didn't know if I wanted to kiss him or not. Before I could react, I felt his lips on mine and my heartbeat sped up, but something didn't feel right, so I pulled away quickly.

"Stop. I can't do this Luke." I replied and took a step away from him and waited for his reaction.

He groaned,"Come on Maya. Don't do this to me."

"I'm sorry Luke." I replied.

His hands went to his head in anger and he kicked my car tire, making me flinch. I looked to see if anyone saw and I heard a car door close nearby. I saw the Justin kid from my math class get out of his car and lean against it, looking at us through his black sunglasses. I felt a strong arm on my wrist, causing me to bring my attention back to Luke. I grimaced in pain.

"Maya, don't leave me again." He said full of anger. My heart sped up once more, but this time out of fear.

"Luke, let me go." I said, frightened.

He looked in my eyes, his were full f pain and anger, but finally let go. I sighed with relief.

"Now what?" He asked, throwing his arms up in the air.

"I'm going to get in my car and you are going to leave me alone." I said sternly, but my fist clenched in fear.

He gazed at me for a second and said,"Fine." He walked off angrily. I unclenched my fists and put my hand on the hood of my car, letting myself relax. I looked over at Justin and caught him looking at me, but he quickly turned away. He crossed his arms over his chest. I sighed and got in my car. I put the keys in the ignition, so i could listen to music. a song by Kelly Clarkson came on. I sat in there for a couple minutes and I felt a tear run down my cheek. Then I saw Sarah coming towards my car. She climbed in the passenger seat and I wiped the tear away quickly.

"Sorry I took so long, I had to get another copy of my schedule." She said.

"It's okay." I replied quietly.

She must have noticed the distress in my voice because she asked me," Are you alright?"

I shook my head, telling her no. I told her that Luke had kissed me and that he wanted me back. I continued to tell her how he was angry and how I was scared. Another tear fell on my cheek.

I felt her hand on my shoulder in a way to comfort me," It's gonna be okay."

I nodded in agreement,"I know. I wish I could be with him, it's just he scares me Sarah. When we were together, all he'd do was yell at me and I didn't like it, so we broke it off. But I still love him, maybe this is all my fault."

She looked at me,"Maya, that's what he wants you to think, that's it's all your fault, but it's not. He was causing your relationship to be unhealthy. I mean look at you now, he made you cry and you aren't even with him. It was a good decision to break things off with him, trust me."

I nodded,"Ugh, I'm a mess." I giggled and continued," Thanks Sarah, for putting up with me and all."

She shrugged it off,"That's what best friends are for right? It's no problem."

I leaned over and gave her a hug. She hugged me back and I heard the bell ring signaling that the break was over. I pulled away from the hug and grabbed my things. Sarah got out of the car and waited for me so we could walk together. I grabbed my sweatshirt out of the back of my car and slipped it over my head. I pulled my hair out of the back of my sweatshirt. I went to grab my keys and bumped my arm on the steering wheel, causing me to wince in pain. I pulled up my sleeve to see what caused my discomfort.

My arm had bruises on it, in shape of a hand, Luke's hand, from where he grabbed me not even 10 minutes ago.