Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Maya

I sat in my car in the school parking lot and sighed. I couldn't wait to get out of here and move away as far as possible. The city of Stratford didn't cut it for me. I wanted to lie somewhere bigger. The people is this town just rub me the wrong way and I can't stand it anymore. Luckily for me it's my senior year, but it was still the first day of school and that meant I still have another year here. I looked at the clock on my car's stereo, it read, 8:05. I groaned. School started in ten minutes. I had to run to my locker so I opened my car door and got out. I looked down at my outfit, jeans and a cute tank top, since it was nice outside. My brown hair was in waves that landed below my shoulders by about four inches. I grabbed my stuff from the passenger seat and headed towards the school. I walked through the green colored halls. I searched the row of lockers and finally found mine, number 357. I quickly unlocked the lock and opened the locker slowly, as I looked down the hallway. People walked with books in the arms and some couples walked hand in hand with each other as well. I turned back to my locker and grabbed the binders I didn't need and stuffed them in my empty locker, leaving me my pre-calculus book and binder. I started to close my locker when I felt a light tap on my shoulder, causing me to turn around. I turned to see my friend Sarah.

"Hey Maya. I haven't seen you in a while." She said. I looked over at her. She had her pre-calc binder to, which meant she must have that class first-period as well. She wore Miss-Me jeans and a pink butterfly shirt. Her hair was curled with we bangs pinned back. Her hair framed her round cheeks and fell right above her shoulders. Her brown eyes gazed at me, waiting for a response.

"Yeah.. I'm uhh.. Sorry about that. I've been busy with things." I replied quietly. That was a lie. I've actually been busy healing for the last month. My relationship with my ex, Luke, ended over the summer after two years of us dating. I honestly was broken and Luke was too. We were always arguing and I felt like it was an unhealthy relationship. I told him this and we decided things would be better if we stayed friends. I haven't talked to him since we split, but that would probably change today.

"I understand." I heard Sarah say, which jerked me out of my thoughts.

I gestured to the math book in her arms," Looks like we have pre-calc together."

She nodded," Can't say I'm excited for that class."

I chuckled in agreement as I closed my locker. Sarah and I started to walk towards our class. The bell rang and we pushed our way through the halls. Our class was on the side of the school where the parking lot was. We turned the corner and walked down the hall where our class was located. I glanced at the parking lot.

"Who's that?" I asked Sarah as I nodded towards the boy getting out of his frisker.

"That's that Bieber kid." She replied. I recognized him by name but definitely not by face. He grew about five inches since the time I had seen him last. He lost the long bangs and now wore his hair spiked, which complimented his perfectly carved jawline. He wore gold Supra's, black skinny jeans, a black leather jacket, and a pair of black sunglasses. I would be lying if I said he didn't look good because he did.

I scrunched up my face in disbelief,"What? He looks totally different."

She nodded," Yeah. I heard he lost his grandparents over the summer. He was crushed. After he hit his growth spurt, he cut his hair and totally changed. He's sort of a bad kid now."

"Hmm. That's brutal." I replied as we reached the classroom. I glanced over my shoulder at him one last time. He had took if his glasses and put them in V of his v-neck shirt. When I glanced at him, I made eye contact which I broke immediately since I walked into pre-calc.

I sat in the seat I was assigned which was in the back corner on the right side if the room. My keys, binder, and phone sat top of my desk. I ran my right hand through my hair as my right hand checked my phone. No messages. I sighed and locked my phone. I looked around the classroom and saw people sitting in their seats. Sarah was a couple rows in front of me. The teacher who introduced herself as Mrs. Roberts started to talk about the rules for her class. I played with the pencil I had on my desk and looked around the classroom. Math posters covered the walls talking about the Pythagorean Theorem and other useless math stuff. I looked at the clock. It had only been twenty minutes. I groaned on the inside ad laid my head on my desk. After awhile I heard the door open. I sat up to see who was entering the classroom. I saw the kid in the parking lot. Sarah turned around and gave me a look I couldn't read.

Mrs. Roberts turned from where she was in front of the classroom. I heard her say,"Well hello Mr. Bieber. You know that class starts at 8:20."

He licked his lips and replied cooly,"Yeah. I'm fully aware of that."

I looked at Mrs. Roberts and waited for her reply. She eyed him up carefully as he put his hands in the pockets of his black skinny jeans. She spoke," Then get here on time." She pushed up her glasses in a way to be intimidating, but he didn't notice the glare she shot him.

He replied,"Sometimes I have more important things to do." He lifted his chin up towards the ceiling, revealing his perfect jawline.

"Just take your seat please, Justin. It's in the back left corner." She said as she waved him off. Justin. He sure did sound familiar. I watched him as he walked towards the opposite side of the classroom. He glanced in my direction as he sat down and I looked away. I leaned back in my chair and started to play with my pencil again for the rest of class.

When the bell rang, I sprang out of my chair and towards the door. I waited outside the classroom for Sarah. After she made it out of the crowns if kids filing out, we started to walk back to my locker. I heard her ask," So what class do you have now?"

I dug out the schedule I had out of my pocket. I looked at it and it read, English Honors 4. I replied with a groan," English."

She frowned,"I have Chemistry."

I groaned,"Great. Now I'll be all alone."

She chuckled as a response. I noticed we reached my locker. I grabbed the lock and spun my combination. When I had finished the combo, I opened my locker. I grabbed my English binder and closed my locker. I turned to Sarah and said," Well I guess I'll see at the break after then."

She sighed,"I guess so. I'll see you after second." She turned and walked to her class and I did the same.

***

The bell rang, signaling that second period was over. I grabbed my things and walked out of the class and to my locker again. After second period, the school always gives us a ten minute break. They call it 'Snack Break' but I have no idea why since almost no one ate. I reached my locker for the third time today and opened it slowly. I stuffed my binder in the open space in my locker. After I was done, I closed it quietly. I walked towards the parking lot. I liked to sit in my car during the break and I knew Sarah would probably be waiting for me when I got there. I walked through the halls with my keys and phone in my right hand and my bag on my left shoulder. I reached the parking lot and I crossed it to get to my car. I unlocked and was surprised that I didn't see Sarah waiting at my car. Chemistry must lie at the other end if school.

"Uhh.. Maya?" I heard someone say, their voice jerking me out of my thoughts. I tensed. I knew who it was. I turned around as a confirmation.

"Hi Luke." I replied.