Chapter 41: Late September to Early October 1924

Everyone has gone a flutter ever since Edith's sudden flee from Downton the day before. Even Rosamund is coming up from London to see what she can do to help. It all seems strange since Tony Gillingham, Charles Blake and Mabel Lane Fox are all staying as guests and Atticus, his parents and Lord Merton are coming for dinner this evening. No one knows anything except the fact that she seems to have gone to London.

Emma is happy that work pulls her away from it all for most of the day yet she knows she'll have to face it all at dinner.

Emma's suspicions about the little girl that lives with the Drewes at Yew Tree Farm Edith has been so fascinated are heightened when Tom tells her how Mrs Drewe had suddenly turned up at Downton asking for an audience with Cora.

——

Emma comes walking downstairs, dressed for dinner with Mary that evening and is surprised to find Mrs Hughes waiting for them in a corner of the Hall.

"Ma'am? M'Lady?" The housekeeper calls to them. "I'm sorry to bother you."

Mary and Emma halt and turn to talk to her. It's funny to hear Mrs Hughes address her like this but Emma knows she's simply being proper in front of a member of the family that employs her.

Emma gives her a warm smile. "You're never a bother Mrs Hughes. What can we do for you?"

"It may have slipped your mind, but do you both remember I gave you a train ticket when we came to London for Lady Rose's ball?" Mrs Hughes questions. "It was a return ticket that I found in the pocket of Mr Bates' overcoat."

Mary and Emma share a look. "Of course, we remember." The former replies.

"I don't suppose you put it anywhere for safekeeping?"

Emma frowns in confusion. "Why?"

"Because we were wrong." Mrs Hughes explains. "Far from proving that Mr Bates went to London on the day Mr Green died, it proved he didn't. He bought the ticket in York but changed his mind and that's why it was never given in."

Emma's heart drops to her stomach. "It wasn't proof of his guilt but his innocence?"

"That's about the size of it."

"I'm afraid I burnt it, Mrs Hughes." Mary admits guiltily.

"That's right. She told me so." Emma adds. She feels sorry for Mary. She had done what she thought was the right thing.

There's movement by the front door, and the Sinderbys enter with Atticus, with Mr Molesley leading the way.

Just then Rose comes downstairs, too. "Atticus!" She calls excitedly then comes skipping down the stairs to greet the guests.

Mary and Emma exchange a last look with Mrs Hughes, but they have no choice but to leave the matter unresolved and join Rose. They walk towards the guests, too.

"Hello." Rose greets Atticus, who beams back at her. She turns to his parents. "Lord and Lady Sinderby, hello."

"Rose." Lady Sinderby says with a smile.

As always, she's the one with the social graces while her husband looks grumpier than when he did at the races, at least then it wasn't obvious but now he looks as if he disapproves of absolutely everything and everyone.

Rose turns to Mary and Emma as they come up beside her. "Oh, you know Emma Branson and my cousin."

"Of course! We were in awe of your courage yesterday and it'll lovely getting to know you better too, Mrs Branson." Lady Sinderby says warmly.