Chapter 24

Nira had been expecting a lot, but definitely not this

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Nira had been expecting a lot, but definitely not this. The Resistance—and that actually was what they called themselves—was based in tunnels beneath Irithara. And they weren't Iritharian, they were Agryan. It was a shame Nira couldn't really study the architecture of a completely different civilization because she could barely see her father next to her. The only light they had came from the two Eternals themselves who were dimly glowing. Nira had no idea why, but she was glad for that at least that.

"See, we were at war with Asharia very often, so our government just decided to build a nationwide subway system to get around," Yris explained as the four of them walked through the old tunnel. Actually, 'old' probably didn't cover it. It was ancient. Yet it looked remarkably preserved. Whatever metal the tunnel's walls were lined with somehow held the place together, despite it having been built fifty thousand years ago.

Nira was having trouble believing it.

"I thought these tunnels were long gone," said Yorin with amazement. Since they'd entered them, Yorin'd had a look on his face that Nira couldn't tell if it was happy or sad. Like he couldn't decide if he was happy that a part of his original country was still there, or if he was sad that this was all that was left of it.

"Yeah, well, some of them are destroyed," Yris told him. "We needed a place to talk about Irif behind her back, so we started a rumor that all of them were gone. That was millennia ago, though."

"And now you're using them as a base of operations?" Yorin asked, clearly impressed as he walked closer to Yris.

Nira shook her head fondly. Of course Yorin completely forgot about everything else when he came across something he wanted to learn about.

"Since the last few places we used were blown up, yes," Yris said casually, and Nira almost stopped dead in her tracks.

"What do you mean 'blown up'?" she asked, even though she had a pretty good idea of what he meant. Yris looked over his shoulder at her and shrugged.

"Irif found out about our existence a few years ago and has been hunting us down. She hasn't been very successful. Until recently...."

"And that means?" Nira pushed further. Even in the dark, she could tell Yris was a little annoyed by the question, but she didn't care. If she was going to help them, she wanted to know the whole story.

"Uh, well, most of our...." He paused as he tried to come up with the right words. "Mortal friends were killed."

Nira narrowed her eyes at him, even though he wasn't looking at her and therefore couldn't see it. "And how many of you are there, exactly?"

Yris sighed, shaking his head. "Five."

"That, um, could be worse," Yorin said, making it sound more like a question than a statement.

"Including you three," Yris continued, and at that moment, Nira really did stop walking.

"Are you serious?" she asked, too shocked to even be angry with him. Yris turned around, raising his hands in a placating gesture.

The Return to Irithara (Children of the Sun Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें