Chapter 21

"What do you mean you told her how to make us into Eternals? That's possible?" Nira asked, so shocked by what Yorin had said that she'd forgotten she should be horrified by the clear signs of Iritharian interrogation techniques

"Yes, of course," Yorin replied, coughing. He had managed to compose himself slightly, but there were still tears in his eyes threatening to spill over. "You need to leave," he continued, getting up with incredible difficulty and limping to the bars, which he then grabbed for balance. "If Irif doesn't turn you into her new soldiers, she'll use the two of you as hosts. You two, and especially Nira, were made for it."

Yorin put his hands against the bars in such a way that the cuffs that bound his wrists together were easily accessible. "Please, go before it's too late."

It was clear what he was trying to do, but Nira wasn't having it. It was her fault he was even in this mess, and she would get him out of it. She grabbed both of the cuffs at once, the familiar feeling of incredible power returning to her once again.

Ignoring Yorin's look of relief, Nira grabbed the bars and pulled, ripping out the cell door out of its hinges with a loud creak that made her want to cover her ears.

By that point, the guards had already noticed something was going on, but before they could reach them, Nira threw the metal door at them with surprising ease. Rather not checking if she'd killed them or not and ignoring her father's questions, she all but ripped Yorin's cuffs apart and grabbed his hand, giving him his power back.

A terrible feeling she couldn't identify made its way into her heart as every last trace of her newly found strength disappeared, but Yorin started talking before she could think about it too much.

That was brilliant! Yorin exclaimed, already healed and in his hippogriff form, which Nira's father was currently gawking at. Right, he had probably never seen an Eternal turn into a dragon before, much less a hippogriff.

The three of them froze as an alarm blared and more guards were making their way to them, aiming their guns. We need to run.

Nira yelped as an invisible force lifted her up and set her down on Yorin's feathery back. Her father followed suit, but the shocked noise he made was much louder. Yorin proceeded to make a huge hole in the wall just by glaring at it and flew through it, the guards' bullets missing him by mere inches.

The speed at which he'd flown when they were trying to get to Aleara was nothing compared to how fast he was now, leaving the city behind them in mere minutes. He didn't stop furiously flapping his wings until there was nothing but snowy wilderness around them, and he only landed once he found a cave to hide out in.

Is everyone okay? he asked as Nira and her father climbed off his back. Nira wondered for a bit if her father could hear Yorin talk as well, but judging by the fact that he confirmed that he was uninjured at the same time Nira did, it was fair to assume that he did.