Chapter 32

Rayni watched in a disgusted kind of awe as Mereria cut Irif's soldiers down one after the other in such a fast way that they didn't even manage to aim before they were killed

Rayni watched in a disgusted kind of awe as Mereria cut Irif's soldiers down one after the other in such a fast way that they didn't even manage to aim before they were killed. She was now wearing a white version of her usual Umbra outfit, and while Rayni still didn't get how she'd managed it, she had to admit it worked well as camouflage.

In fact, Mereria had somehow managed to turn Rayni's scales white, as well. It was probably done by that shapeshifting ability all Eternals had, but Rayni hadn't known it was possible for one Eternal to change another.

Rayni set that thought aside for later as a good way to prank people.

"How many did Irif send?" grumbled Mereria, wiping blood off the visible part of her face with her sleeve. Rayni would have said that now her camouflage wasn't working, but since the other Eternal was already red all over from all the slaughtering, it pretty much changed nothing.

"I dunno, but after seeing that, I'd run," Rayni said, nodding towards all the dead bodies. It was making her queasy, in fact, which was interesting because she'd thought she'd seen enough corpses to be immune to it by now.

"This is Irithara, not Enoria," Mereria reminded her, climbing onto Rayni's back. "They don't go to war to win, they go to war to die for their country."

Rayni wrinkled her snout in distaste.

"We need to keep moving," Mereria reminded her gently but firmly. Rayni nodded and jumped up the mountain wall next to them, trying to get a good vantage point from which they could find newly arriving soldiers. They were clearly coming from the forest, but they had to be using vehicles to get here so fast, which would make ambushes much easier.

Rayni didn't even know why she'd decided to go with Mereria on a scouting mission. She definitely wasn't a master of stealth, especially now. Being a dragon was nice and all, but it also made being inconspicuous pretty much impossible. She could make the ground shake ever so slightly if she stomped, for gods' sake.

But Mereria needed to get around fast, so Rayni couldn't change back.

The rest of their group was hiding in a cave a few minutes away from them, and the fact that just days ago they worked for Relioth and were now without any supervision wasn't making Rayni calmer. If they left, they would truly be screwed.

Four Eternals had died on the way here, and Rayni knew more had been shot down from Kaleth's group.

Rayni sighed as she climbed ever higher, staying in the snowy patches to remain relatively hidden. She hoped Mel and Kaleth were okay, at least. She knew Kaleth wouldn't let anything happen to her brother, but if he got injured or even killed, she didn't want to imagine what the other Eternals might do to Mel.

She knew she would have hated herself for it, but maybe she should have forced the Umbra to go with them, rather than soldiers who had just changed their allegiance. It would have been safer.