Chapter two

Defense Against the Dark Arts. The only thing interesting about the subject was the curse behind the chair. No teacher returns for a second year of teaching the subject. Many students share a conspiracy theory that the dark art eats away at them, as they teach defense against it. However, it was just a theory used to scare first years as well as the professor.

The fourth year Slytherin and Ravenclaw sat with anticipation, waiting for their new professor to make an entrance. No one truly cared for knowing the teachers, due to the fact he would be gone by the end or the semesters.

Regulus walked in quietly, sitting in the back at the same table as Pandora Lovegood. She was the school's weirdest, yet smartest, student. She had a way of talking in riddles and making things up, but she also gave the best advice. In their first year, she would wander the halls barefoot, claiming the Nargles took them for unknown reasons and that they were dreadful creatures. Much to her display, Dumbledore put a spell on the shoes, summoning them to her when it was appropriate times to be wearing them.
The two of them often found themselves in comfortable silence. Both happily doing their own thing, while in each other's presence. "Save travels, I presume?"

Pandora gave a bright smile, "Per usual there was quite the disturbance on the train," she looked towards Regulus giving him her full attention, "Dreadful Blibbering Humdingers wouldn't stop their crying." Regulus just gave a small nod, not wanting to ask anymore details on the creature. Pandora believed in many things, and it was hard to say that was real or just in her head.

After a few minutes of silence, the doors burst open, clanging against the wall, aggressively bouncing back. An average height man marched to the front of the room, letting his curly blonde hair bounce with each step.

Upon reaching the chalkboard, he wrote 'Vaisey Higgs.' He wrote in such a way to make sure he got every squeak he could out of the board, adding as many swirls to the name as he could. He turned towards the class, giving them a judgmental look as he studied the students.

He hit the board with the chalkboard. "Your new defense against the dark arts professor," he announced, "Hopefully this year can be filled with plenty of memories and just as much learning." Regulus and many of the other Slytherins scoffed. The only memories they would be making would be the ones where he cried.

There was a drawn out silence as he hoped one of the students would make a comment, or do anything to make it feel like he wasn't talking to a wall. It was clear to most students that this was his first year of teaching and he wasn't very good at it, either. Clearing his throat, he clapped his hands, "Which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses are there?"

Barty looked back towards Regulus with a wide grin before standing up. "I find myself quite knowledgeable with the three curses, sir," he proudly announced, emphasizing the word three. To anyone who wasn't a pureblood, it would just seem like he studied the subject. However, those who were pureblood understood the underlying message. That they knew from an up close perspective that the curses were.

"Very well, Mr. Crouch," Professor Higgs took a slight step towards the Slytherin, "and why are they named so?"

"Now now Vaisley, I can't take all the spotlight," He smirked knowing he was getting under the professor's skin. Regulus rolled his eyes at his friend. He didn't understand his desperate need to show off and be a prat at any given second. Barty walked towards Regulus until he was standing right in front of him, with everyone's eyes on them. He bowed, giving Regulus a mischievous smile, "Our Slytherin Prince can give you more insight than I."

"Can you be any more annoying?" Regulus whispered with a small glare.

"Actually, " he began to respond with a finger raised, before the professor cut him off.