Chapter Three

The Frivolous Union

________________________________________________________

"All bear witness to the glory of the stars and yet none realise their solitude."

________________________________________________________

Death.

Cursed.

That's what the land was reduced to now.

The vales of the fae mountains smelled of deceased beings. The shrouds of underworld hovering over it's skies. Painting it in mournful hues of the monochrome light.

The flush trees of fae berries and ivy, all now equally drained of their luscious greens, blues and reds. The soil was reduced to chars of ashes. Poison dripped into the once amber pond of sustenance.

The surface now like an ashen mirror of doom. Even the zephyr dare not invade the curse befallen land. As the onyx black reigned over the once magnificent valley.

Now it was just a home left barren. Dark. Cursed. Deadly.

The sun rays couldn't penetrate the misty veil. And yet even indistinct light, he glowed. Like a citizen of heaven descended to earth.

His cool pale fingers carded through a small shrub. Eyes focused on the stories the demised souls foretold. Observing the reason for the hex.

The onyx leaves withered to specks of dust at the tiniest movement. A fickle crown of light could be seen on the clear brow of the otherworldly being. An illusion and yet an undeniable reality.

His hair of molten gold parted covering the fair forehead. The cold eyes of ebony brown searching for the tiniest hints about the cause of the deadly occurrence.

The air swirled as a sigh resonated from behind the High healer. His apprentice stood eyes glazed in disappointment.

The two were out of place. Like two angels at barren graves of hell. Two points of vibrant light in land of darkness.

Chris could read the disappointment of his apprentice from the way the other stared into the bleak land. He could understand how the other had dreams and hopes. Yet still he could not comprehend why his apprentice still held for an elusive warmth.

His apprentice, a young gentry fae of immeasurable skills and beauty. One of the rare faes with a warm heart and pure perspective.

His sharp feline eyes could both scare and spread warmth. The long raven hair fell into the latter's shoulder in soft sparkling rivulets.

His pointed ears held the not so often pink blush of a near blossoming hollyhock. His brow threaded with tattoo of the moonlight gentry fae.

Chris was not the one to oppose the thought of love. Or having a partner to share your burden with. But he knew that such was not possible with the royalty.

His past has thought that one could never share any kind of burden with the regalty. Loving a blue blood was not difficult but not receiving anything except traps was. The royal court was battle ground and survival always came at a cost.

Chris had been a pawn for them once. He wouldn't be again. But fate had played him like a puppet and now he was again in the board game, he had tried to escape from.

He felt pity for his pure apprentice. The High healer had taken in Hyunjin when he was a teen. Sitting alone on a rock near market where a revel had occured.