Chapter Twenty-Seven

Elain

Elain stared out the window, trying to ignore the crowds of fae below. She swallowed, the lump in her throat growing steadily.

Light footsteps sounded behind her, and she turned to see Lucien approaching, dressed in one of Helion's fancier white togas, the edges of which were trimmed in gold that reflected in every beam of sunlight.

"How are you?" Lucien asked, his mechanic eye darting back and forth. "I'm aware everything happened so quickly."

"Thank you for checking in. I really appreciate it," Elain replied, meaning every word. "We're moving fast, but it feels manageable. I only worry that, while we feel in control now, that will change soon."

Lucien sidled up next to her, placing a gentle hand on the small of her back. Surprisingly, she didn't flinch from his touch. "I hope we can keep it so that we're in control, but everything is precarious right now," he admitted. "Are you sure that you're comfortable with being introduced as the Lady of Day?"

"Yes." Elain gulped, although her voice was strong.

"You are aware that it means, to them, that you are my wife?" Lucien asked, eyeing her carefully.

Elain kept her gaze on the growing crowds below. "I'm aware of that, Lucien," she said quietly. "I have toyed with the risks, but I agreed, didn't I? I agreed to play this charade."

She could have sworn he flinched. "Alright, then," he said after a moment. "It's our time to shine, quite literally."

Elain chuckled, accepting his outstretched elbow and let him guide her onto the sun-soaked balcony that stretched over the crowds. The crowds roared, some with delight and others with anger.

Lucien, having slipped into the mask of pure, calculated power, raised a hand to silence them. "I know that some of you are confused," he said, his voice amplified with magic, magic Elain didn't know that he possessed. "So I will explain. I am Lucien, son of the Lady of the Autumn Court and Helion, former High Lord of Day."

Cries sparked at the use of former after Helion's name.

"As some of you are aware, former High Lord Tamlin has made himself infinitely more powerful and named himself High King of Prythian," Lucien's voice boomed, the crowd falling silent.

Elain shivered. The amount of power that Tamlin possessed now was terrifying. If this plan didn't work – they were screwed, as was the future of Pyrthian.

"I was given an order to kill my father and declare myself High Lord of Day. And so I did," Lucien roared, the power in his tone unlike that Elain had ever seen before from him. The fire of the Autumn Court in his blood. "I am now High Lord of Day. Those who oppose my rule will find themselves leading a life in my prisons." Lucien paused, eyeing the crowd dangerously.

They erupted into cheers of joy. Elain couldn't tell which ones were false from the ones that were real happiness.

"And this lovely lady," Lucien said, reaching for Elain, who moved closer to him, "is the new Lady of Day, Elain Archeron."

The crowd roared louder.

And Elain beamed back.

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

Azriel

Azriel walked down the stairs into Sylvie's dining room, the same room he and his High Lady had found themselves in last night.

Sylvie and Iona were sitting at the table and Feyre was standing but leaning across the table. They were all talking quietly, but ceased as soon as Azriel entered.