Chapter Fourteen

Velaria

Tamlin speared a piece of ham with a golden fork. He was dressed nicely in a shimmering green tunic with gold accents and pressed gold pants, his hair neatly combed and pulled back.

It had been a week since she had arrived at his door, and she had checked in with Rhysand, Feyre, and Azriel daily with her daemati powers. She had yet to discover anything about the box that was vital. Calanmai was rapidly approaching, and Velaria had a plan.

Velaria cleared her throat, combing a hand through her dark hair, the ends of which had lightened since her arrival. She spent most of her days outside, gardening or reading a book from Tamlin's extensive libraries.

Velaria was dressed in a pale purple dress that accented her eyes, pink and blue flowers sprinkled over the glittering fabric. The flowers differentiated the dress from Night Court attire, making it more Spring Court in nature.

"It's been great being here, truly," Velaria said. She gave Tamlin a soft smile, the same she had been shooting him all week in order to try and soften him up. "I've enjoyed it."

Tamlin's fork froze on the way to his mouth. "Are you...leaving already?" he asked, gulping.

"I'm not." Velaria took a sip of her wine. "I was complimenting you, Tam." She giggled for emphasis.

Tamlin relaxed. "I am glad you have enjoyed your time."

"Calanmai is coming up quickly," Velaria said. "Have you given thought to who you are inviting?"

Tamlin snorted. "Whoever is left in the High Fae of my court."

"No High Lords?"

Tamlin flicked his gaze to study Velaria before looking back down to his food. "None of them would come."

"Are you sure?"

"They see me as a monster," he grumbled. "None of them would join me for the tradition."

"Why do they see you as a monster?" Velaria asked innocently.

"And here I thought Rhysand told you everything..." Tamlin shrugged, smirking. "Never mind that. I allied with Hybern at first, to both glean information from him and to utilize his help in getting Feyre back to me. None of them were quite happy about that."

"Ah."

"They all believed Rhysand's false preachings of peace," Tamlin said. "And now I am the most disgraceful High Lord ever lived."

Velaria pursed her lips. "What if...never mind, it's a bad idea."

"No, go ahead," Tamlin said, smiling. "I would like to hear."

Velaria shot him a grateful smile. She would have to word everything carefully if she was to persuade him. "What if you sent invites to all of them for Calanmai? Not to apologize, but to...explain," she added quickly at his upset grimace. "If they won't hear you out, if they don't try to see your side, then that's on them. But you can say you tried, and that will put you in some of their good graces again."

Tamlin's features softened, reassuring Velaria that her idea worked. "I guess I could...do you truly think that they will listen?"

"Not all of them," Velaria admitted. "But some of them, definitely."

Tamlin nodded, thinking deeply. He shoved his plate away from him, done with the food and sighed. "I will start drafting invitations. Would you like to help?"

"I would love to."

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

Azriel