Chapter Four

✦ ───── ✧ Stone and Sword ✧ ───── ✦

Azriel knocked on the simple door that marked the entrance of his High Lord and Lady's room. While waiting, he examined the bright blue siphon on the back of his hand, feeling it hum in the presence of his power and his shadows as it always did.

Feyre opened the door after a second, bouncing Nyx on her hip. She reached a pale tattooed hand up and brushed a piece of silky hair behind her ear. "Hey, Azriel. What can I do for you?" she asked. Then her gaze surveyed the shadowsinger from head to toe. "Battle gear?"

"You can never be too careful," Azriel replied. "I have a request." He stepped inside and shut the door behind him quietly. "Is Rhysand in here still?"

"No." Feyre arched a brow. "Ask away."

"I know that Rhysand will insist upon coming with me to the Spring Court, and, knowing our current relationships with Spring, I fear his presence will aggravate Tamlin and further convince him not to help us," he said, grimacing. "Do you think you could try and convince him to stay here?"

Feyre sighed, crossing the room and placing Nyx down in his intricately detailed crib. "I know how my mate can be," she said, stroking her son's chin with a slender finger. "Of course. I can try to convince him, but no promises."

Azriel nodded. "I didn't expect anything more."

Feyre sighed again, looking at Nyx with a thoughtful gaze. A shadow crossed over her face, and Azriel moved over to where she was standing, putting his scarred hands on the crib and gently rocking Nyx.

"You went through so much already, and now with the confusion around Velaria, I do not wish to disrupt the sliver of peace you worked so hard to obtain," he said. He felt Feyre's gaze on him, but didn't turn his head. "Let me know if I can do anything to keep you out of this, or to lessen your load."

Feyre ducked her head, the corner of her eyes lined with silver. "Thank you, Azriel, truthfully," she said, "but this is important to my mate. I will be there for him like he has been for me for the past while. I will, however, let you know if I end up needing your help."

Azriel grew quiet, watching Nyx slowly drift off to sleep.

"I believe that you will find her," Feyre said finally. "I believe that you can have a life with her again." Azriel looked at her, but she was smiling down at her son. "I meant it, Az. You deserve peace as much as I do, as any of us do."

Azriel nodded, willing the tears in his eyes to disappear. He began to walk out, but Feyre stopped him just like she had a couple nights ago.

"Azriel," his High Lady said, her tone muddled with emotion, "do me one favor."

Azriel bowed dutifully, his wings flaring. "Anything."

"Talk to my sister before you go," Feyre said. "You owe her that."

"I will, my lady," Azriel said before exiting. He grasped his forehead with his hand, letting out a silent groan. Despite his unrelenting disinterest to do such, he walked down the stairs and knocked on the door Feyre had painted with flowers of all colors and sizes.

"Come in," a soft voice said from inside.

Azriel opened the door gently and stepped in. "Elain. We should talk, if you're open to it."

Elain looked up from where she was sitting on her bed, thumbing through an old, leather-bound book. "Okay," she said, closing the book and placing it on her floral bedspread. "What's up?"