Chapter Fifteen

Azriel knocked on Rhysand's door, sighing and contemplating every single one of his decisions. Tonight was going to be hard, no matter the outcome.

"Come in," Rhysand's voice echoed from inside his bedroom.

Azriel swung the door open. Rhysand was in the middle of the room, collapsed in a chair and half dressed. His black dress shirt was unbuttoned and rolled up to the sleeves, but his hair was combed and his pants were finely pressed.

"Having a hard time deciding what to wear?" Azriel merely asked, sitting in the chair across from him.

Rhysand's eyes flared. "Yes. Do I have my wings out or not?"

"I would say not, but you can take them out if need be."

Rhysand shut his eyes, nodding slowly. "Thanks," he said. He began to button his shirt up. "What did you need me for?"

"Have you decided who is coming with you tonight?" The shadowsinger was not known to dance around things.

Rhysand cleared his throat, sitting up straight. "Yes. I'm taking just Cassian, Az."

"Is this because of the emotional thing?" Azriel grumbled. "I'm a professional, Rhys. I know how to ignore my emotions."

"No, Azriel. Tamlin sees you as a threat. To his friendship with Velaria. If I bring you, it sends the wrong message." Rhysand closed his eyes again, thinking. "We need him to trust us to stop all the chaos that Velaria said he's trying to bring upon Prythian."

Azriel was quiet, deep in thought. "After this...you deserve to rest," he said finally. "You deserve to rest with your mate, your son, and your sister. You've been through so much, Rhys."

Rhysand's gaze flicked to Azriel, gratitude shining in the violet sky inside of them. "You deserve peace as well, brother."

Silence settled over the two, more alike than most could tell. Content, heavy silence before the chaos of the Spring Court's Calanmai and whatever awaited them after that night.

"I'll take care of Velaria," Rhysand said, interrupting the silence.

Azriel chuckled dryly. "You and I both know that she can very well take care of herself," he said.

Rhysand allowed himself a small laugh. "I just hope that she can handle Tamlin and his rage if things go wrong tonight..."

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

Velaria

"Can you help me? Yes, just lace that up, please." Velaria watched her reflection in the mirror, herself barely recognizable in her heavy Spring Court attire.

The maid helping her pulled firmly on the lacings of the corset dress she had on, tying the cream ribbons in a nice bow before patting Velaria on the shoulder and exiting.

Velaria sat down on the stool, taking a second to examine herself.

She had chosen the dress specifically to resemble what she had worn from her days at the Spring Court in the past. It was light pink, with puffy cream sleeves and floral lace detailing. All shades of pink and white flowers were embroidered into the dress.

She did her own makeup, dabbing pink powder over her eyelid and taking a brush dipped in black for eyeliner to the corner of her eye before patting blush onto her cheeks and swiping her lips in a shimmering pink lipstick.

A knock sounded on the door as Velaria picked up a pair of gold and pink flower earrings. "Come in," she said, putting the earrings on.

Tamlin entered, taking in the room and Velaria. "You look spectacular," he said, offering her a hand.