Why?

Blue went into the apartment once invited, following the redhead. Ms. Chase closed the door behind him, as though they thought he might try to run. He was confused. Why was there such high security on him? He shook the thought, thinking to ask about it later.

"Come, sit down love," the redhead said softly, gesturing to a wooden chair at a small table. There were two other women, one with bright red hair and yellow glasses, and the other with black hair that had a blue streak in it. Blue sat down anxiously. "I just realized, I never told you my name, did I, petal?"

Blue shook his head, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"My name is Mary Somers. That's Margo Smith, and the blue haired lass is Tressa Smith," Mary explained. Blue nodded slowly. Mary smiled at him. "We've been so excited to meet you. We just got the letter today that you'd been classified. Your room isn't set up yet, but that'll come as soon as we make sure we're a good match."

Blue fidgeted with his sleeves at the thought of moving in with strangers, but nodded slightly anyway. Mary pulled a notepad and a pen out of her pocket, handing it to Blue.

"Now, we already know your name and class, but maybe you don't mind telling us a little about yourself?" Mary prompted.

Blue nodded, thinking through his words before writing them down.

'My name is Blue Moon. I'm an L1, as I found out today. I was born on January 1st. I like stuffed animals and blocks and colorful things. My favorite color is blue, and that's why I made it my name. I've never gone into headspace properly, so I don't know anything about it. I'm a bit confused right now.' Blue finished writing, placing the note in the middle of the table.

"This is a big transition for someone who's never regressed. What exactly are you confused about?" Tressa asked gently. Blue immediately took a liking to her, as she seemed to be the most understanding so far. Blue took back the notepad.

'Why is there so much security on me? I've never tried to run away, or hurt anyone. I get distracted, but this all feels like too much.' Blue felt tears welling in his eyes as he finished writing his sentence. He shakily placed the notepad back in the center of the table. 

Mary, Tressa, and Margo looked at each other. There was silence for a few minutes. Blue started to feel uncomfortable. Finally, Margo said something.

"You... You really don't know why?" Margo asked.

"Margo-" Mary started.

"No, he needs to know," Margo said firmly. She took a deep breath. "When you go to get classified, your new Caregivers are given a written report of your past behavior. Anything from your first developmental milestones, to your behavior while being classified. Much of this is documented by parents. Your parents wrote down many instances where you were supposedly very... Troublesome."

Blue's eyes widened. He didn't think he'd been a bad kid. He didn't remember doing anything bad. He began to hyperventilate. He snatched back the notepad, shakily writing a note. 'Show me.'

"We can't-" Mary started.

"Show me!" Blue shouted, before covering his mouth. He hadn't meant to shout. He didn't feel ready to talk, let alone shout. "No- No... I mean-" He broke down into quiet sobs. He looked down at the floor, ashamed by the outburst. 

He felt a strong pair of arms wrap around him, seeing fluffy red hair enter his vision.

"Shh... Easy love. It's alright," Mary said softly. Blue cried into her shoulder, exhausted and afraid from the days events, only to find out that he'd been a bad kid. Mary pulled him onto her lap as he cried, holding him close. She worried that it may be a step too far, but it seemed as though it was just what he needed right now. 

Eventually, he cried himself out, being reduced to sniffles. 

"I-I want to see... I want to know... I have to know," Blue said hoarsely, his throat sore from crying. Mary nodded slightly toward Margo. Margo picked up a tablet, handing it to Mary. 

Blue took the tablet gently. Looking through the report, he saw several incidents marked as severe, despite him not remembering them. He saw the words 'defiant' 'clingy' 'unstable' and 'overreactive' written throughout the report. He set the report down, before curling up, and somehow finding the strength to cry all over again.