Chapter 22

Time seemed to slow down, which was really annoying, since I could hardly move and Jason was about to be stabbed. He was sinking into the ground like it was a waterbed.

Just before Jason was hit, Leo's voice yelled. "Heads up!"

A large black metal wedge slammed into the giant with a massive thunk!

Enceladus toppled over and slid into the pit.

"Jason, Neo, get up!" Piper called. Her voice energized me, and shook me out of my stupor. I sat up, my head groggy, and stumbled over to Piper and Jason.

Piper hauled Jason to his feet. "Don't die on me," she ordered. "You are not dying on me."

"Yes, ma'am."

Piper turned to me. "And you!" She yelled. "What were you thinking, jumping onto Enceladus' spear? You could've been killed!"

My head spun. "Chill, Pipes," My words slurred a little. "I'm good."

I then proceeded to collapse.

"I don't think so, Moony. You're going nowhere."

About a hundred feet behind Piper, Leo was standing over a piece of construction equipment - a long cannonlike thing with a single massive piston, the edge broken clean off.

Then I looked down in the crater and saw where the other end of the hydraulic axe had gone. Enceladus was struggling to rise, an axe blade the size of a washing machine stuck in his breastplate.

Amazingly, the giant managed to pull the axe blade free. He yelled in pain and the mountain trembled. Golden ichor soaked the front of his armour, but Enceladus still stood. My sword still stuck out of his wrist. He yanked it out and tossed it on the ground. Rude!

Shakily, he bent down and retrieved his spear.

The ambrosia I'd eaten started to take effect and the pain that coursed through my body began to fade.

"A good attempt," The giant winced. "But I cannot be beaten."

As we watched, the giant's armour mended itself and the ichor stopped flowing, Even the cuts on his limbs, which Jason and I had worked so hard to make, were now just pale scars.

Leo ran up to us, saw the giant and cursed. "What is it with this guy? Die, already!"

"My fate is preordained," Enceladus said. "Giants cannot be killed by gods or heroes."

"Only by both." I said. The giant's smile faltered, and I saw fear in his eyes. "It's true, isn't it? Gods and demigods have to work together to kill you."

"You will not live long enough to try!" The giant started stumbling up the crater's slope, slipping on the glassy slides.

"Anyone got a god handy?" Leo asked.

My heart filled with dread. I had no idea what we could do next.

Fortunately, Jason did. "Leo," He said. "if you've got a rope in that tool belt, get it ready."

He leapt at the giant with no weapon but his bare hands. And he says I'm reckless.

"Enceladus!" Piper yelled. "Look behind you!"

It was an obvious trick, but her voice was so compelling, even I bought it. The giant said, "What?" and turned as if there was an enormous spider on his back.

Jason tackled his legs at just the right moment. The giant lost his balance. Enceladus slammed into the crater and slid to the bottom. While he tried to rise, Jason put his arms around the giant's neck. While Enceladus struggled to his feet, Jason was riding on his shoulders.