Chapter 15

We would've died at least five times if it wasn't for Leo.

First, there was the motion-activated trapdoor on the side walk. I did not want to know what would've happened if we fell. Then, the lasers on the front steps, then the nerve gas dispenser on the porch railing, the pressure-sensitive poison spikes on the welcome mat, and of course, the exploding doorbell. Honestly, the house was like a booby trapped minecraft base.

Leo deactivated every single one of them. He seemed to sniff them out, and pick the right tool from his belt to disable them.

"You're amazing, man." Jason told him.

Leo scowled as he examined the front door lock. "Yeah, amazing," He said. "Can't fix a dragon right, but I'm amazing."

"Hey, that wasn't your - "

"Front door's already unlocked." Leo announced.

"Sorry what?" I raised an eyebrow.

Piper stared at the door in disbelief. "It is? All those traps and the door's unlocked?"

Leo turned the knob. The door swung open easily enough. He stepped inside without hesitation.

Before Jason could follow, Piper caught his arm. "He's going to need some time to get over Festus. Don't take it personally." She turned to me. "You either, Neo."

I nodded, but I still felt awful. Back in Chicago, some harsh stuff was said. And, we all nearly died. If it wasn't for Piper we would have.

"Piper," Jason said. "I know I was in a daze and stuff back at Chicago, but that stuff about your dad - if he's in trouble, I want to help. I don't care if it's a trap or not."

My eyes widened in surprise. Piper's dad's in danger?

"Jason," Piper looked at Jason, and her eyes looked shattered - like someone who'd seen something they just couldn't cope with. "you don't know what you're saying. Please - don't make me feel worse. Come on guys, we should stick together."

She ducked inside.

"Together," Jason muttered. "Yeah, we're doing great with that."

I patted his arm. "Tell me about it, dude."

-Ω-

Anything I should've been able to see was shrouded in complete, absolute darkness. The only light came from the yard lights outside.

From the echo of our footsteps I could tell the entry hall must've been enormous, much bigger than Boreas' penthouse. A faint glow peeked through the breaks in the thick velvet curtains. The windows rose to about ten feet high. Spaced between them along the walls were life-sized metal statues of what appeared to be ancient Greeks.

As my eyes adjusted, I could see sofas arranged in a U-shape in the middle of the room, with a coffee table and one large chair at the far end. A massive chandelier glinted overhead and along the back wall stood a row of closed doors.

"Where's the light switch?" Jason asked, his voice echoing eerily through the room.

"Don't see one." I said.

"Fire?" Piper suggested.

Leo held out his hand, but nothing happened. "It's not working."

"Your fire is out?" Piper asked. "Why?"

"Well, if I knew that - "

"Okay, okay," Jason cut in. "As much as I'd love to listen to you two argue, we have more pressing matters to discuss."