Chapter 4

We entered the cabin through the main door this time. Well, Will went in the back to the infirmary, but, whatever. On the walk over, Zafiro told me that their godly parent was Hecate, which was pretty cool.

Kayla led us to her area. There was a bed with a green duvet and pillows and a drawer beside it, featuring many framed pictures on top of it.

While we were deciding on an outfit I was filled in on all the stuff I could ever know about camp. There was some noise in the infirmary, but apparently that was normal. Demigods got injured all the time. Definitely a trait I'd inherited.

Kayla opened her drawers and after much debating we agreed on an outfit. I ended up wearing my hair half up, with a camp t-shirt on, some jeans, black boots and a denim jacket, which had a Capricorn patch on the front.

"Kayla I don't know if I can wear this jacket morally." I said.

"What? Why?"

I decided to put it simply. "I'm a Leo."

Zafiro grinned, the corners of their eyes crinkling. "So am I!" We high fived.

"Come on." Kayla moaned. "Nobody's a Capricorn. I've genuinely never met one."

"Hey, I've got nothing against Capricorns." I said. "To be honest, I don't really care about zodiac signs. I'm just being dramatic."

A conch horn blew, sounding across the camp.

"What does that mean?"

"Dinner." Kayla said. "We'll show you to your table."

-Ω-

I was seated at a long table filled with people, the Hermes cabin I was told. Where all unclaimed campers went. Around our table there were others, mostly with fewer people at them.

At the big table at the end, a centaur was sitting there, along with some satyrs, Jason and Rachel. Seeing her I didn't know what to feel, but I knew I was angry. I knew she kept this place a secret from me for years. She looked up and her eyes widened with shock.

I arched an eyebrow at her, which seemed to be a clear enough message for her. It was hardly the first time we'd had a conversation entirely through eye contact.

She glanced towards the exit and got up and left. So I excused myself and followed her out. I'd had enough to eat anyway.

I followed her to the steps of the Big House "Rachel." I said.

"Neo."

"Right. Let's cut to the chase." I said. "Why didn't you tell me about this place?"

"Neo, I thought you were mortal. I could hardly tell you." She shook her head slightly in distress.

I raised my eyebrows. "Bullshit. Nothing about me is 'regular mortal'. You saw the signs - the monsters, the accidents, the ADHD - I can see through the Mist for fuck's sake! You knew all the ways I was different and didn't think to tell me about the one place I'd be safe."

That broke down the dam.

"Ok, fine! I figured out what you are. I guessed, anyway." She conceded. "But there was a war going on, Neo. I didn't want to send you to your death!"

"So you left and stopped talking to me?" A disbelieving laugh escaped me. "You were all I had Rachel, and you left me. I get that you're the oracle. I get that it's your destiny or whatever. What I don't get is why I've only just found out who I am. Why I had to be alone."

Her eyes shone in the moonlight. "I just wanted you to be safe!"

"That's not your choice to make!" I leaned back on one foot. "And it's not as if that worked anyway. I almost died today, and I didn't know what I am. You could've just as easily gotten me killed by not telling me."