𝖢𝖧𝖠𝖯𝖳𝖤𝖱 𝖲𝖨𝖷

chapter six: nerves
1.03, origin point

Valerie sat in between Harlan and Luna, her index finger through Harlan's belt loop as she held on to him in any sort of way for comfort of being in the back of a cop car.
Harlan's hand slides from his thigh, over to Valerie's thigh. Who's was mentally thanking herself for wearing sweatpants instead of a skirt. Because she'd be super uncomfortable having to cross her legs, especially with how close they were all sitting.
Valerie's other hand rests on Harlan's, trying to calm her nerves. She could vaguely hear Everett mumbling about something. But all she could focus on right now was herself. And that's all she needed to focus on right now.
     She even felt Harlan look behind her to talk to Everett, but did she hear him? No. No she did not. The officer from earlier bangs on the fence type thing, being the only thing that blocks the drivers and passenger seats from the rest of the van.
     Valerie yelps, her grip tightening on Harlan. Whether it was her finger on his belt loop or her hand on his hand. Or both. Harlan was very close to loosing it and going off on the male officer, but he couldn't. One because it'd be an assault to the officer and he'd be arrested.
     But most importantly, it could scare Valerie more. The male bangs on the fence again, scaring the five teens. This makes Valerie move both her hands to Harlan's hand, gripping it. One of her hands interlaced with his and her other hand gripping his wrist.
     "Whispering is talking." The officer states — Valerie was slowly tuning back into the real world. "I'm sorry, but are we under arrest?" Valerie asks, gaining some courage.
     She also knew this was illegal, since her mom is a lawyer. "Don't say that." Harlan tells her softly. "Why not." Luna asks, but so actually giving Harlan a "she knows what she's doing" look.
     "Because then they will arrest us." Harlan explains m, nodding slightly, understanding the look he got. "It's just a few questions guys." Detective Ramsey says, looking back to look at the five teens. "We're just trying to clear up time lines and stuff like that." She further explains. "Nobody's getting arrested."
     "Well, then how about you call our parents?" Blake asks, leaning forward, Detective Ramsey looks back at them once again, "Once we get there, how about you call them yourself?" She retorts.
     The three in the middle seat all share a look, hearing that Blake had all calmed Everett down, looking back they see him and Blake messing with an Anxiety toy. One of the ones with the buttons that you press, some that you move.
     One more hit to the fence thing grabs all of their attention, "We're here." The officer says, Harlan looks down at his hand — that was still resting on Valerie's thigh — he had a couple nail indentations from where Valerie's nails were when she was squeezing his hand.
     "Maybe I should get her one of those." Harlan mutters under his breath. A fire truck drives by the van as they approach the swarm of people.
     Coming to a stop, the officer and Detective Ramsey get out of the van, opening the doors and letting the five teens out. Harlan being the only one to get out on the Officers side, he shuts the door as Valerie was getting out right behind Luna. The two girls sticking close to each other.
     Officers pointed to the building, telling them which way to go. Valerie and Luna being first, but Luna stops by the horses, Valerie stopping with her. Not wanting to leave her best friend by herself.
     The two were just watching the horse. He was just eating something he had found off the ground when Valerie noticed her friend in a trance, "Luna. Luna." Valerie repeats, shaking her best friend to shake her out of whatever just happened.
     Detective Ramsey walks up behind them. "It's Luna and Valerie, right?" She asks, "Let's get this over with." She finishes, after getting a nod from the two girls. Luna looks at the horse for a second, but continues to walk with Valerie.
     The group follow Ramsey through the crowd and into the downstairs part of the police station. As they finally make it to the top of the stairs they had to walk up, it was packed with people there to file reports and etc.
     "Follow me." The male officer says, Valerie looks back at Harlan, his hand finding hers since they stopped. Valerie kinda zoned out. She could definitely hear some distant arguing but she wasn't paying attention to that.
     She was praying that her mom wouldn't get mad at her. Nor would her dad. Valerie's head began to hurt, she was hearing a whole lotta of everything. And she couldn't shut it off.
     Harlan catches sight of Valerie who was still holding his hand as they walked, even though she was walking in front of him. He smiles seeing this. It warmed his heart. But his eyes fall else where as their hands slip from each others as she goes and sits beside Luna.
     The officer behind Harlan pushes him, "Keep movin'." He says, Harlan was fast to turn around. "You got a problem?" Harlan asks. "Just you." The officer retorts. Forcing him to sit down beside Valerie.
     Harlan takes in a deep breath, trying not to go to actual jail. Valerie's hand goes to rub up and down Harlan's arm while her and Luna both give the officer a dirty look.
     Blake looks around, spotting someone, she stands up and goes up to them. It was the blonde girl from the bus. Phoebe. "Hey Harlan, steal anyone's lover lately?" She asks, walking past him, spotting the affection that he was sharing with Valerie. "Just yours." He responds cockily while Phoebe flips him off and walks away.
     Blake walks around the chairs, going and sitting back where she first sat, "We should as for a lawyer." Everett says, "You know what happens when we do that? They arrest us." Harlan tells him.
     "I'm not getting arrested." Blake denies automatically, "Sorry, but if I have to I'm telling them everything I know." Blake states, turning back to look ahead of her.  "Everything?" Everett asks.
     "We need a story. Something simple. We all stick to it." Harlan tells them, looking back at the rest of the group. "Like we were working on a school project or something?" Luna asks.
     "No. Jesus Luna. Like we were smoking weed." Harlan comments. "That's a crime." Everett comments, "He's not wrong." Valerie adds on. Harlan sighs, looking down at Valerie beside him, looking back up at Everett because he knows he can say this harshly to him and not feel bad about it. "Which makes it sound like we're telling the truth."
     Blake raises her eyebrows, "Nobody gives a shit about a couple of kids smoking weed." Blake adds, "Well, sometimes they do. I they see anything." Valerie comments, remembering some of her moms cases, they all turn to her, giving her a "really?" look.
     "What?" She asks, moving her arms around, not liking the attention on her. "It's the truth." She shrugs, wrapping her arms around herself to not feel so vulnerable.
     "Why's your heart beating so fast?" Harlan asks, turning to his sister, Valerie doesn't even have to look to know who walked by. "That guy? That's your type?" Harlan asks, "Fuck off." Luna says.
     "You don't have much room to talk. Y'all act the same." Valerie mutters, "Sorry." She squeaks. She was nervous, and everybody could tell. Especially when she started getting bluntly truthful. "I'm nervous." She apologizes.
     Harlan smirks down at her, loving this side of Valerie. But it's not like he hadn't seen this side of her before. "I know." He whispers, moving a piece of hair behind Valerie's ear. Valerie looks up at him in shock as butterflies swarm her stomach. "Everett Lang. You're up." The officer that pushed Harlan says, ruining their moment. "Let's go!" He yells.

SAMANTHAS CORNER

That's the end of this chapter. And like I said, this chapter is much longer than the last. It's over double the words! Also I just wanted to say that once I finish the season I'll go back through all the chapters and edit them.

I'm not going to unpublish anything, I'm just going to make some edits. Especially with all of the typos I've made. Anyways, that's the end of this chapter. I hope that you all have a wonderfully blessed day or night, bye my lovelies!