Chapter 1

"Self-love, he don't love himself, tryna love me"
———————-

May POV

"May!"my dad shouts angrily,
"hurry up or you can walk to school!"

I quickly close my laptop and throw my head phones into my back pack.

"I'm coming"I reply while opening my door.

I meet my dad who just looks at me with squinted eyes.

"I'm getting you a bicycle and you're going to start taking that to school if you don't start hurrying up in the mornings.

"I'm sorry, okay? I was just caught up in something."I shrug and set my bag on the dining table.

I grab some toast, peanut butter and a knife and start making myself breakfast.

My dad just shakes his head and grumbles something about teenagers.

Hey I'm more than half way to adulthood. I'm almost 16.

Dad grabs his car keys and starts making his way to the front door of our apartment.

I wipe my hands on a kitchen towel and stuff my toast into my mouth before quickly grabbing my bag.

I sling it over my shoulder and run after my dad.

Dad lets me out and locks the door after us.

I Jump down the stairs and greet the neighbours that pass me.

This place isn't too bad compared to most of New York.

Only every like fourth house gets robbed here.

I open the building door and let the fresh air envelope me.

Hallo New York.

I get into the car and throw my bag into the back.

"So what are the shifts for this week looking like?"I ask preparing myself for a week of loneliness.

"We're under staffed again so a lot of doubles and night shifts. I'm sorry kid but looks like you're going to have the place all to yourself for most of the week, again."Dad Rubs a hand over his face, already looking tired.

I smirk at him trying to lighten the mood,"It's okay just means I can throw more lit parties without you knowing."

Dad glares at me and just shakes his head.

With mum somewhere in the UK working on a building project and dad working doubles it can get pretty lonely.

I mean I got my friends but still, at I'm terrified.

We get to my school and I reach over to grab my bag.

Once I have it, I Kiss my dads cheek and open the door.

"Be good and work hard."dad looks at me sternly.

"I love you."I say and dad replies with a chuckle.

"I love you too."

I close my door and turn back to the school.

"Yo May, how have you been baby?"Leo says and puts a arm around my shoulders.

I shake my head and push his arm away from me.

I've known this boy forever and he's no good.

"I've been good, baby and you?"I ask and wave at a few people.

"Never been better. You know a few guys and I have been wondering if miss popular would show us the time of day and join my house party this Friday."

I give him a sceptical look.

"And before you say no. Let me just tell you it's going to be Lit. Everybody's going to be there especially if your coming. So please baby do me this favour. You owe me."

I laugh,"I owe you? For what? As far as I remember I've been saving your ass since day 1."

He shrugs,"You know for...and for... anyway please."

I bite lip in thought,"I got nothing on so far so sure I'll join your little party."

Leo shoots me a smile,"You're not going to regret it, baby.Okay I'll let you be now and do your thing."

I hum in agreement and watch as he walks off.

I shake my head. I don't understand why he thinks that my presence would make such a huge difference.

I walk into the school and talk with a few more people.

Why is it so hard to get to my locker in the morning.

The second I reach my locker the bell rings and my actions start to become more frantic.

If I'm late one more time they're sending me to detention and I'm really not in the mood right now.

I stuff everything into my locker and close it.

I swing the bag over my shoulder and start running to my tutor.

I look at my watch to see that I have 30 seconds till the old hag is marking me late.

My worries are interrupted by me running into someone.

I fall back, my book that I was holding in my one arm falling on the floor and the papers that were inside it scattering everywhere.

I gasp and start collecting my things,"I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going and it was totally my fault."

I ramble and look up but who I see makes my heart stop.

I just bumped into Miles Morales. THE Miles Morales.

He's like the most secretive person I know.

He doesn't talk much nor does he have all that many friends but he's super smart and there isn't a single student here who doesn't know his rep.

His GPA and marks are perfect but he's super intimidating.

Just the thought of him having a grudge against me makes me unsure. 

He is not the guy you want to be on bad terms with.

He doesn't say anything but picks up a paper once he's stood up and hands it to me.

I finally pick all my papers and grab the one from Miles.

"Thanks Miles and sorry about the running into you thing. You okay?"I ask and he nods.

I use this opportunity to look at him closely. From his eyes to his braids to his outfit.

He really is pretty

"It's okay."he mumbles, the accent even now coming through.

"Good...I'm gonna go.Thanks again!"I start walking to my tutor class.

I'm so late.

Miles POV

Finally I've talked to her.

And all it took was for me to practically jump into her.

Now we're getting somewhere.