(01) - Beginning of the End

| The All Knowing |

"Butterfly," he chuckled throatily as he watched the girl stumble into the room, her friend clumsily walking into her as she froze in place. His eyes took in her appearance under the dim lights.

Fear. The perfect word to describe what suffocates you when you're in their presence, surrounded by their tall figures and intimidating posture. They were well respected in what they did, even if it was not morally right, they were good at what they do. It was almost as if it were an art form watching them fight with stark accuracy and power. You would have thought you were hypnotised by their supremacy but it was all just the fear that numbed you. It kept you trapped in place.

But not Elena, instead her eyes narrowed at his presence. Her cheeks were flushed a slight pink at his lack of clothing but she was quick to cover it up with a scowl, his shirt had been disposed of during his workout. He held her gaze firmly, a smirk adorning his features before he threw one last hit at the large punching bag. He watched her jump back, her friend watching in awe as his muscles rippled.

"Your mother told me to come and get you," she informed before turning around and scowling at her friends' close proximity.

"I must have lost track of time," she heard him justify and swiftly grabbed her best friends' arm to jolt her out of her trance.

"It's not good to make a habit of being late." She huffed and left the room, her brunette hair billowing behind her and leaving him with the echoing of her heels as she paraded away.

Elena hadn't wanted to be there, he had essentially robbed her of her precious time with her beloved best friend. It was sorrowfully one of those catastrophic moments where she was entangled within her cocoon, unable to flutter or be heard and instead, she was lumped in the darkness of the promises between well-acquainted families. The only reason she had ended up in his home was because it was what her father would have wanted. Romano De Angelis was a well respected man and in his legacy, he left behind no broken promises and he promised Jeremy Carter that his first daughter were to be wed to his son.

"I cannot believe that you're going to get married to him..." Charlotte broke her out of her trance as she tried to remember her way through the seemingly never-ending halls. "You never told me how good looking he was!" She giggled like an excited schoolgirl and gushed whilst eyeing her best friend. He was undeniably handsome with his gorgeous golden locks, defined jaw and intense stare.

"There is no guarantee, I may decide that I do not want to marry him," Elena shrugged casually; her mother couldn't possibly expect her to be so blasé about marrying a man she barely knew. Elena's mother knew all too well that she wouldn't marry him without a fight but she was grateful that Elena had at least chosen to entertain the idea but it would be on her terms.

"He's pretty nice on the eyes Lena, would it really be that bad? Plus, it's what your father would have wanted." She sighed upon hearing the last sentence, she understood perfectly well and she did not want to go against a dead mans' wish but the truth of the matter was, she was alive and he was not, it wasn't him that had to bear the consequences.

"What do you think they would say if I didn't want to marry him?" Elena pondered and fell in step with Charlotte.

"I don't think that will be an option," she spoke truthfully. "They clearly need this marriage, they don't do anything that isn't for their benefit." Her mind was about to go into overdrive at the very valid statement but they had now come to the room from which they started in.

"Elena!" Her mother called excitedly, she was bouncing about on her feet with a sugary sweet smile on her face. "Chérie, would you like something to drink?" Her mothers' French heritage seeped through her words.

"You act like this is your own home."

"This could be your home," she heard Charlotte whisper in her ear, her eyes rolled at the comment. The house was undeniably gorgeous with beautiful crystal chandeliers and grand décor. It was the epitome of wealth as though everything were made of pure money. Tainted money, of course.

"Ma chérie," her mother cooed and went to pour them a drink, the jug of lemonade perched on the ornate, glass coffee table.

"Please, do not try and sweet talk me," Elena huffed; she knew her mother was about to grace her with an elaborate speech of why this would be a match founded in heaven, somewhat literally with her father gone. Although, everyone else would think he's most likely residing in hell but Elena knew of him in a different light.

"You were always just like your father." A gruff voice commented, Elena's eyes moving to meet the man who entered the room alongside several others. Instantly, her eyes cast towards the infamous Jeremy Carter. He stood proud amongst his family, dressed in a fine suit with perfect posture.

"I am a De Angelis after all Mr Carter," she beamed and shook his hand, her pearly whites on show as she broke free and took the pretty glass of lemonade from her mother. Her mothers' eyes danced with threat at Elena's comment. She had always gotten along well with Mr Carter when she was much younger and she wasn't about to refrain from the quirky comments for anyone.

"Let me help you, Alison," her mother jumped to her rescue and took a plate of the snacks away from the formidable Mrs Carter.

"Did you find Jake?" She asked curiously, they had become well acquainted having been sat around for an hour together awaiting him.

"He's not here yet?" Jeremy's eyebrow rose in astonishment, the authority begun to seep through his posture and exude within the room.

"I am here now," his familiar voice exclaimed as he entered the room. Her eyes locked with his familiar honeycomb orbs. Elena stared quietly at him as he took in his mothers' embrace and planted gentle kisses upon her cheeks before greeting her own mother, Alessandra, in a similar fashion.

"Elena is your soon to be wife," Jeremy informed, a smirk settling on Jake's face as he made his way towards her, his hair slightly damp from the shower he'd just taken.

"I know," he spoke cheekily. "No greeting?" He mocked watching her, as she remained seated. She saw the sharp look her mother shot her from behind.

"Of course, where are my manners?" She stood to shake his hand but like he did earlier, he stepped forward to kiss her cheeks with a mischievous glint in his eyes, his cologne filling her senses and leaving her slightly flustered.

"Charlotte," Elena quipped, gesturing her friend to greet him too and watched as her friend swooned slightly at his closeness.

"Please, take a seat honey," Alison gestured back towards the seats and Elena pulled down Charlotte with her as they watched Jake sit opposite them. His gaze rested on her and caused her to shift uncomfortably and look away towards his parents.

"Jake!" A squealing voice shouted and a flurry of crimson hair marched into the room, her stilettos tapping against the ground and her bright red lips were perfectly pouted as she made her way to, the now standing Jake and threw herself at him.

"Why are you here Miss Calidori?" Jeremy questioned, he was not amused by her wild antics and sultry behaviour, a red lipstick stain planted upon Jakes' cheek.

"You are very aware that Jake is getting married," Alison informed her as the girls just marvelled at the long legged red head. She completely ignored their words and the room filled with tension in a matter of seconds with everyone's eyes glued to her. Miss Calidori, however, completely ignored their words as she latched onto his lips and kissed him unexpectedly.

All hell broke loose.