8- Seasons I: Last Autumn

Story by: thedonkatsu ♡♡

--

The harsh winter wind blows across the small garden, through the stone hallways, making her shiver.

She tucks her chin further into the thick scarf wrapped around her neck and pushes both hands deeper inside her coat pockets.

The normally green and well-manicured hedges are bare and the fountain in the center is dry.

She’s the only person there and through the glass window panes on her left, she can see two women standing inside the building—one with gray hair and the other younger, wearing a colorful beanie—watching her.

They’re probably having fun coming up with guesses as to why there’s a young Asian girl standing in the middle of the courtyard garden of the church that serves as the icon of their city, in the freezing winter.

This particular garden is usually never quiet. There will always be several tourists, students or simply people who need a quick break and some tranquility walking around or sitting on the stone sill of the tall windows.

But the weather has allowed her to have the place to herself and she’s grateful for that.

It’s not tranquility she’s looking for today. She’s here purely for sentimental reasons because she first met her here nearly five months ago.

That day, two Asian girls—tourists—walked up to her and started asking for directions in English.

She had heard of the place they were looking for but she just arrived in that city as well so she couldn’t give details on how to get to their destination. Plus, her language skills weren’t advanced enough to be able to answer fluently.

She was busy searching her translation app for English words that could help get her point across when someone came up beside her and started talking in super fluent English—American accent, she noticed.

The two girls smiled and thanked her and the stranger before leaving the garden through the side door.

She turned her head and was greeted by the brightest smile she had ever seen.

“Thank you” She told her in English.

“You’re welcome” replied the girl in Korean.

That caught her totally off guard and she ended up staring at the smiling girl for a good thirty seconds, until the girl started waving her hand in front of her face.

“Are you okay?” The girl asked.

“Y-yes. Yeah, sorry. I didn’t mean to be so impolite” She formally said while bowing her head a bit. “Didn’t expect you to be Korean too”

“I overheard you mumbling in Korean when you were using your phone. And please don’t be so formal. We’re probably the same age” The girl extended her hand. “Hi, I’m Tiffany”

“Ti-ppa-ni?”

“Yes, or Hwang Miyoung but I prefer Tiffany”

“Kyopo, huh?”

“Obvious, right?”