Awake

Warnings: dark themes/intense romance/mentions of drug use and addiction.

Carry the mountainsYou have brokenSpread your wingsFall from graceRemember the childrenRemember the blue skies you defaced

Carry the mountains
You have broken
Spread your wings
Fall from grace
Remember the children
Remember the blue skies you defaced

Jo, was dreaming. Seeing flashes of a slide show her subconscious decided to put together for her. She could feel the rug of the living room under her fingers, smell the cinnamon pastries from the kitchen, hear the computer game beat her brother once again. He crosses his arms, huffing the remote aside.

"Stuck?" She asks. They're in matching pj's, yet his are ruffled and stained with gravy on the collar.

"Yes" He grumbles. "Half of my friends are nearly completed the game and I'm stuck on level four!"

"Well you've only just started Jonah, give yourself a chance" She puts her colouring books aside, putting the lid on her new crayola sets. "Would you like some help?"

"From you? No thanks" He scoffs, picking up the remote again. "You just stick to your books"

"I-" just about ready to defend herself, Jo thought better of it knowing her brother wouldn't bend his mind an inch. "Okay" She pushed up on her hands and stood up from the rug and left her brother to his sulking.

Her father and mother were in the kitchen, cooking up desert for them. She peaked around the corner, long hair casting over her shoulder with a smile. The smell of cinnamon circled in the air, entrancing their stomachs to make room after today's feasts. There was a radio playing in the corner, some song she didn't quite understand but it was one of her parent's favourite.
Both of them, still with their Christmas pj's on, bopping up and down to the sway of the eighties music and smiles on their faces.

"Hey monster," Her father said, same eyes as her own beaming at her. "You ready for some delicious cinnamon rolls?" He licked some icing from his finger as turned to face her. She grinned brilliantly up at him, nodding. "That's my girl, how's your new colouring set Santa got you?"

"Amazing, the pink pen smells like strawberries!" She said, her new slippers flashing lights on their soles as she walked to him.

"Exactly like the set I got from Santa when I was your age" Her mom turned wiping her hands with a dish cloth before tossing it in the sink. "I can't wait to pin them on the refrigerator when you do all your pretty drawings, bug"  She reached over with cold hands and smoothed down her daughter's fly away hair. Jo leaned into her hands, the soft feel of them something that would be imprinted on her brain forever. "Go grab your brother, time to eat!"