when push comes to shove (hyunjin & i.n)

"It's puberty," Chan says at breakfast, knowingly.

Jeongin has just categorically refused the eggs that Hyunjin has carefully fried just the way he liked it, and stormed off mumbling something about how he'd take the bus to school because he doesn't want to be dropped off like a baby.

Minho looks at the spatula in Hyunjin's hand with longing. "It's wanting smacks, Channie-hyung. He's been a little brat for weeks now."

"And he got smacked just the other day, Sunday, was it?" Chan shakes his head. "Puberty, Min, I'm telling you. He's in a phase."

"Those weren't smacks," Minho says. "Those were a few love taps, hyung. Warning swats, if I'm being very generous."

"I'll give you love taps-" Chan begins hotly.

"You two sound like a couple of bickering ahjummas," Changbin interrupts, wolfing down the remaining half of his third fried egg on slurp. "I'm off, I'm going to the studio to write with Jisung. Don't bother us unless someone's dying."

"Ahjummas?" Minho reaches for the spatula.

Changbin is already leaving the kitchen at top speed, skidding around the corner on his socked feet.

"Buy Jisung a sandwich on your way over!" Chan yells after him. "If I get there and he hasn't eaten I'm sending him home for the rest of the day!"

"Yes, hyung!" The door slams shut behind Changbin.

"What are the rest of you up to today?" Chan asks.

"We don't have a schedule this morning, so Hyunjin, Felix and I are doing extra dance practice," Minho says, impervious to the groan that gets from Hyunjin. "Seungmin is welcome to join if he'd like. And we all have vocal lessons this afternoon I think."

"Except for me," Hyunjin says. "My teacher isn't available today, I'll have training again tomorrow."

"Great," Minho gets up to put his plate in the sink. "You'll have time to vacuum the floors then. Don't give me those eyes. I told you to do it on Monday already.."

"Monday?" Chan gives Hyunjin an interested look. "What's this, Hyunjin-ah?"

"It's not like that," Minho says, before Hyunjin can start blabbering. It's a natural response to Chan giving you one of those looks. "I told him on Monday, but he has until tomorrow to get it done. If it's still not finished then you're more than welcome to come down on him like a ton of bricks, hyung."

"I'll get it done," Hyunjin says quickly. "Promise. I'll have lots of time this afternoon. No need for a ton of anything, Channie-hyung."

"Great," Chan says. He shoots Hyunjin a quick smile. "Eggs were great, Hyunjin-ah, thank you! You really have a knack for it."

The others echo his thanks and Hyunjin starts eating his own eggs and toast happily, warmed by their appreciation. He is good at scrambled eggs, even if Jeongin doesn't want them.

---------------------------------------

Hyunjin is tired when he returns home alone that afternoon. It's a nice tired, though, the kind that comes with a sense of accomplishment after a tough, productive practice session. Minho was right to make them put in some extra practice today. Minho is often right, of course, as much as Hyunjin hates to admit it. The extra practice has lessened some of his nerves for the upcoming comeback.

Seungmin is also home - Hyunjin finds him in the kitchen, stirring ramen into boiling soup.

"Hey, Min."

"Hey!" Seungmin gives him a quick smile. "You finished for the day?"

"Yeah. You?"

Seungmin shakes his head. "Nah, I still have another lesson tonight. Do you want noodles? I can just add another packet."